What to expect from tung oil?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Marc Lavertu

What to expect from tung oil?

Post by Marc Lavertu »

Hi everybody! When I can't find the information I need on the WEB, I know where to go...

I'm working again on the finish of those two, a telecaster and mandocaster. What I'm not sure wath to expect from tung oil finish. I practice on scrap peice of maple but I never get exactly or don't know how it is suppose to finish.

So, if you have use tung oil, please told me about it and how you use it. For me it's easy to get, easy to use and not to expensive.

THANK'S for your support.

Marc
193355281_1261391687629072_2345337454877782541_n.jpg
JC Whitney

Re: What to expect from tung oil?

Post by JC Whitney »

Back in the 1990s I built a tele-style with a solid mahogany body. Finished the bare mahogany with tung oil, then hand-buffed with beeswax. I've never found a finish I've liked better, both in terms of looks (soft matte) and touch (warm, natural wood feel). Those two bodies are beautiful, please post pics of the final results.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”