Neck finishing help

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Maclean Forquer

Neck finishing help

Post by Maclean Forquer »

Hey everybody,
I'm working on my first build, a telecaster that will eventually be a bender.
I have the nitrocellulose curing right now (about three days left), and after reading the board, I think I messed up.
Following photos from Stewart MacDonald, I taped up the Laurel fretboard on top and sides to spray the nitro. When I peeled off the tape, there's a line I can feel where neck meets fretboard.
I plan on sanding the neck to a satin finish.
Will the edge of the fretboard even out, with sanding? Or, do I need to lay new coats of lacquer up the sides of the laurel wood?
Barry Daniels

Re: Neck finishing help

Post by Barry Daniels »

If you sand until the ledge is gone, the finish will be very thin on the side of the neck and may not be even. I would apply some lacquer to the edges of the fretboard to make the ledge less severe. You could do this with a small artist's brush, or you could mask off the neck and spray just the edges of the fretboard. If you take the latter approach there is one secret trick to help. Place your masking tape just a hair back from the lacquer edge, exposing about 1/32" of the lacquer finish. When you spray, the fresh lacquer will build up a bit over the ledge, but it has a better chance to burn into the ledge and get a seamless blend. When you sand the finish, the tiny bit of overlapping lacquer will quickly sand away. Also, when removing masking tape do it about 30 minutes after spraying your last coat. The lacquer will be soft and will be less prone to chipping.

Next time just place masking tape on the top of the fretboard. The edge of the lacquer can be sanded back at a bevel leaving a smooth corner. Stew-Mac needs to correct their instructions because it is flat wrong.
MIMF Staff
Maclean Forquer

I wouldn't say the instructions were wrong. I mean they were, but that's because they were instructions for a maple neck/fretboard. The pictures I Was looking at were of course a different place on the site lol.

Thanks for your input. I don't want to start the clock over on curing, but what are you gonna do?
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

You never want to leave a masked edge on any surface other than a 90 degree angle. I will stick with my "wrong" description.
MIMF Staff
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Here's a helpful thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5120
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Maclean Forquer

Peter Wilcox wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm Here's a helpful thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5120
Yeah that's the thread that made me go, 'oh. I screwed up.'
Maclean Forquer

Thanks, again, Barry. the lip sanded away nicely, and the 'do-over' is not noticeable to the hands. I finished the neck to satin, and it plays great.
There's a bit of a line from the tinted sealer I used. I didn't manage to stain like a millimeter of the sealer, so it looks obvious. Feels fine, though. Knowledge increased.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Getting the color right takes a bit of practice and luck.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”