Thinking of first electric guitar build. Input?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matthew Lau

Thinking of first electric guitar build. Input?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Dear MIMF,

With a possible California shutdown in October, I might build my first electric guitar.
For many years, I've been lusting after a Telecaster with the ergonomics of a Strat.
If it can fit in a laptop bag, even better.

I'd like to run some ideas past everyone, and have a better idea of what to build:
1. Plans
Thanks to Jamie Unden, I have a full scale strat/tele plan.
2. Woods
I am planning to use old growth Port Orford Cedar that's been in my workshop for 6 years.
3. Bolt on neck
I'm thinking of using metal inserts, and clamping knobs for the neck joint....would these be too bulky? Should I just pack a screwdriver?
4. Pickups
I have Lawrence Keystones on hand. If I didn't have them, Jason Lollar (of MIMF) would be my first choice.
5. Hardware
No clue. Any recommendations? I have some cheap ebay stuff for the bridge/switch plate. Pots/switches/jack/caps are all from Stewmac.
6. Wiring
Thinking of doing a 5 way switch--standard tele, then the esquire bypass of the neck pickup (not sure if that will work, but might be fun to try)
7. Neck construction
Thinking of doing a 3 layer laminated neck for stability...sorta like the Japanese Fujigen necks. I really hate working with Carbon fiber.
8. Not sure if you recommend a particular truss rod?
I think that I have a stewmac hotrod sitting around somewhere.
9. Tooling- some hand routers, a bunch of planes, table saw, lunchbox planer, drill press, lots of knives, good rasps/chisels, Japanese handsaws. This time, I feel that I'm ready!
10. Thinking of sculpting the neck joint/heel more like the Parker fly.

Flame away! I'd love your thoughts on this.
Matthew Lau

Re: Thinking of first electric guitar build. Input?

Post by Matthew Lau »

Also, I'm probably going to build a neck pocket ala Stewart Travel guitar.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”