Body carve

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Body carve

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I recently finished a build that involved carving the body by hand. Not having any experience in carving, here is how I did it.

The carve amounted to a "fillet" that varied in width around the body. I used a piece of 1/2" MDF to define the shape of the inner edge of that fillet, and used a top-bearing pattern routing bit to just barely define a tiny rabbet at the innermost edge of the "fillet"
Carve Guide 1.JPG
Carve Guide 3.JPG

I then used a conventional rabbeting bit to cut a 1/8" rabbet that defined the 1/4" depth I wanted for the "fillet".

Carve Guide 5.JPG

These two operations gave me two reference lines to use for the carve.

Carve Guide 6.JPG

Some low-angled lighting, a lot of touchy-feely, some very precise carving and some sanding, and it is done. As to that precise carving, inevitably I ended up with humps and valleys that were obvious either to touch or with a low-angle light. It was amazing how I could literally shave off a high spot that probably wasn't more than a few thousandths of an inch, or similarly shave a larger area to remove a dip. I kept a diamond hone on the bench next to me and would touch up the gouges every minute or two so they stayed razor sharp.
Carve 2.JPG
==Steve==
Karl Wicklund

Re: Body carve

Post by Karl Wicklund »

That’s a nice slice there. Very satisfying.

Tangentially, your process reminded me of *something* I used to see on TV in the 70s. It’s just ringing a bell, especially the 4th photo. Maybe from PBS.

Huh... I’ll stay awake on that for a while tonight.
Kaptain Karl
Steve Sawyer

Re: Body carve

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Yeah - I'm looking for an opportunity to do more of this. It's really enjoyable.

Can't help you on the "memory" that I'm triggering though... :D
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”