Bridge placement (electric bass)

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Bridge placement (electric bass)

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I’m installing a 4-string Kickass bridge on a new build. Where would you recommend the bridge be positioned? If the bridge should be positioned so that the scale length is halfway between the min and max intonation values (0.36” and 0.81” behind the front edge respectively) then the mounting holes should be 1.05” behind the scale length. With the mounting holes 1.635" behind the front edge:

(0.81 - 0.31)/2 = .225
1.635 - (0.225 + 0.36) = 1.05”

However, my understanding is that the intonation process usually ends up moving the saddles back from the nut, so using the calculations above could leave me with unused adjustment in front of the saddles, and I could conceivably run out of adjustment to get the proper intonation.

Thus, the question is, where within the adjustment range should the scale length fall when mounting a bridge? 1/3 of the distance from the front of the range is the guess I'd make absent anything else, but that too may put the bridge too close to the nut, so maybe it should be at the point 1/4 of the adjustment range behind the min adjustment?

Thanks!
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Re: Bridge placement (electric bass)

Post by Barry Daniels »

Setting intonation ALWAYS moves the saddles, starting at the scale length, away from the nut. So your bridge adjustment zone should be centered on your scale length plus the compensation, which can be calculated with one of the online compensation calculators. I like the one on Stem-Mac's site.

If desired, instead of centering the adjustment zone, you could move the bridge back a bit because over time you will probably need more adjustability in that direction.
MIMF Staff
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I just do quick and dirty by placing the bridge with the forwardmost (toward the nut) adjustment of the saddles at the scale length. Since intonation compensation will always be away from the nut this gives the largest amount of possible travel for the saddles.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks gentlemen!! Good info!!
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”