Need to find a bridge...

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Re: Need to find a bridge...

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks for all the info/suggestions, folks. I decided that rather than hack at the bridge-in-hand, or trying to recess it in some way, or (shudder) remove and re-set the neck, I ordered that Schaller roller bridge. I know that a Lester should have some variation on a TOM bridge, but it really doesn't upset me at all to have a "fender" style bridge instead. The Schaller measures .466" so it's really a perfect size for this build. I seem to have a few more builds in my head, so I'll get another chance to take a crack at getting this neck-angle process worked out and use the bridge and tailpiece that I have. :mrgreen:
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Rather than hack up the bridge-in-hand, or cut a recess for it, or <shudder> removing and re-setting the neck, I decided to go with the Schaller roller bridge mentioned above. I know a Lester-style guitar should have a TOM-style bridge, but that doesn't worry me overmuch. I've never been much of a purist! :) I have enough builds in the queue in my head that I'll have more chances to get this neck-angle thing mastered, and will have other opportunities to use this bridge.

The Schaller bridge comes in at .466" so it's really the perfect height for the current geometry.
==Steve==
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Another idea,
Recess the bridge into the body but install 6-32 but inserts into the body for the bridge studs. Order 6-32 set screws with Allen key heads and 6-32 locking nuts from McmasrCarr. Adjust the bridge height via the set screws.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Mark Wybierala wrote:Another idea,
Recess the bridge into the body but install 6-32 but inserts into the body for the bridge studs. Order 6-32 set screws with Allen key heads and 6-32 locking nuts from McmasrCarr. Adjust the bridge height via the set screws.
Thanks, Mark - good suggestion. Unfortunately, I've already drilled for the Schaller roller bridge, so I'm going to continue down that path. Will tuck that excellent suggestion away for future use though!
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Did you get a response from Babizc Full Contact Hardware?
It has been a while since I used their T.O.M. style bridge, and the guitar it was on has been sold, other wise I would have given you the measurements.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Gordon Bellerose wrote:Did you get a response from Babizc Full Contact Hardware?
It has been a while since I used their T.O.M. style bridge, and the guitar it was on has been sold, other wise I would have given you the measurements.
I did, and their measurements would be too tall without making the same kind of modifications I would have needed to do with other TOM-style bridges. They do make nice stuff though! Tempted to design a future build around one of their bridges! :)
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I have used their bridges on a half dozen or more guitars, and have been very satisfied with them.
Players love them, as there are no sharp screws to bother the heel of your hand.
I like them to work on too.
The tone I get is an improvement also.

I know I have talked about them a lot on this forum, but I am not getting an endorsement! :D
Wish I was!
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”