Steinberger gearless tuners

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
John Clifford

Steinberger gearless tuners

Post by John Clifford »

Has anyone here used these on a guitar with a regular peghead? I'm interested in trying them on my next solid-body electric, but they're kinda pricey and I'm wondering how well they really work.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... uners.html
Brian Evans

Re: Steinberger gearless tuners

Post by Brian Evans »

I'm wondering how they work, it's kind of hard to have a gear ratio (40:1) without a gear... Probably planetary, I figure.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

It is a threaded post.
MIMF Staff
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

That makes sense. The tuning knob sucks the string lock down, tightening the string. As an engineer I object to the description of a 40:1 tuning ratio, it might have 40 TPI threads, but as the driven post does not turn, there is no ratio.

Edit: but there is an equivalent ratio. If they indeed use a 40 tpi thread (very common, used in all imperial micrometers) one turn begets .025" of post movement, hence string longer or shorter by .025". To get .025" of string movement on a notional worm geared tuning machine, with a post diameter of .200" (about close to right) you'd look for a 25:1 gear ratio. Alternatively, if you wanted to have the equivalent of a 40:1 worm gear with a .200" post using threads, you have 63.7 TPI.
Ian Petersen

Post by Ian Petersen »

Has anyone here used these on a guitar with a regular peghead?
I've used them on a guitar with standardish strat style headstock.They work fine although there's little advantage over standard locking tuners other than looking a bit different. I seem to remember there were some quality issues with them at one time which is maybe why they've been off the market for some while. I've never had any problems with mine though.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”