Level, crown & polish frets before gluing the neck?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Level, crown & polish frets before gluing the neck?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Should be pressing the frets in tomorrow, but wondering if I should continue on with finishing the frets now, or wait until after the neck and body are glued up. My last build was a bolt-on neck, so this issue didn’t come up!
==Steve==
Brian Evans

Re: Level, crown & polish frets before gluing the neck?

Post by Brian Evans »

I can't think of a reason why not! :)
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Either way works. For me, the deciding factor is how well the neck to body geometry is lining up.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Barry Daniels wrote:Either way works. For me, the deciding factor is how well the neck to body geometry is lining up.
??
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

If things look a little less than ideal then I will attach neck first and then level and dress frets. Some guitars just seem to behave well and can have frets dressed off the neck. It mostly involves how well the fingerboard extension sits on the top of the guitar.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Barry Daniels wrote:If things look a little less than ideal then I will attach neck first and then level and dress frets. Some guitars just seem to behave well and can have frets dressed off the neck. It is a touch and feel thing. Can't describe much beyond that.
Okay - thanks, Barry!
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Brian Evans wrote:I can't think of a reason why not! :)
Me neither - that’s why I’m asking! :D

Seems much easier to do before gluing the neck on, but like to make sure I’m not missing something.
==Steve==
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

Some things to consider: Some people believe in leveling frets with the neck under tension to simulate the actual balance between string pull and truss rod. In that case, obviously you'd have to do it after the neck is on. On the other hand, it's much easier and safer to work on the upper frets with the neck off. Easy to slip with a file and scratch the top. If you use a block with an imbedded file to angle the fret ends, will that even clear the top? Also consider how you're going to hold the neck and/or guitar while you do the work, and whether that will affect the leveling. Finally, think about where the metal filings are going to go.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, John. Good points. Whatever I decided, I knew that the fret ends were going to have to be trimmed before installing the neck. No way my little fret-end-beveling tool will clear the body.
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Mine clears, but not by much. I always use a cardboard mask on the top when doing fretwork.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”