Kahler Bridge

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Bill Raymond

Re: Kahler Bridge

Post by Bill Raymond »

Man! Those things sure do look complicated. I've always favored the Bigsby vibratos as they are simple, straightforward and do the job without a lot of fuss.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Bill Raymond wrote:Man! Those things sure do look complicated. I've always favored the Bigsby vibratos as they are simple, straightforward and do the job without a lot of fuss.
I install Bigsbys when asked to and certainly they solve some of the issues of a Strat or Floyd, but they can have other problems. Best to use with a roller bridge, depending on the guitar style there are different models and mounting systems. You can't block them or change the string tension. However if I wanted a trem on a jazz guitar that would be my choices
IMG_3417.JPG
With a Bigsby and a good roller ToM you are darn near the cost of a Kahler and you can't set string spacing or adjust the radius at the bridge (you can with other bridges obviously but Bigsbys tend to get used on Gibson style guitars). One thing I do like about Bigsbys is that you don't need the locking nut.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Roller bridges, IMO, are not ideal. The rocking bar bridge works just fine, and one can even get compensated bar bridges, if desired, as well as ones with various radii. Of course, sting spacing is fixed, but that isn't usually a problem. Bigsby vibratos with the added roller for more break over the bridge, though, are another story!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”