LP Classic plans

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Roger Rosenberger

LP Classic plans

Post by Roger Rosenberger »

I'm looking for the most accurate plans for a LP Custom. Can someone send me in the right direction.
I want to build one for my son as part of his college graduation present.
Thanks.
Roger Rosenberger

Re: LP Classic plans

Just checked back in. Hmmm, I meant to say LP "Custom" plans in the title.
Has anyone had experience with the Les Paul plans from LMI?
I can find Stewmac LP plans but I'm not sure they still sell them. I have also heard of some inaccuracies with their plan such as the body is drawn too big.
I'm just looking for a little direction since I don't have a real LP here to copy.
Dave Stewart

Post by Dave Stewart »

This link (which I nicknamed the 'motherlode') showed up on another forum......... amazing for the shear tonnage of plans & stuff in there.
http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic. ... =6&start=0
You may find what you're after there.
Dave
Milton, ON
Roger Rosenberger

Dave Stewart wrote:This link (which I nicknamed the 'motherlode') showed up on another forum......... amazing for the shear tonnage of plans & stuff in there.
http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic. ... =6&start=0
You may find what you're after there.
Thanks Dave! I can see why you call it the 'motherlode'. I think I can find something useful there.
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

Roger, send me a PM....
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Roger, I just finished a LP from the StewMac '59 burst plans (which I understand are no longer available). It seems to be fine, don't know how truely "accurate" it is, however. My understanding is that Gibson made them pull the plans. I'd did a few things to mine so it wouldn't be a perfect copy (not that I could make one anyway) - headstock, finish, wooden cavity covers, neck profile. As far as the body being "too big" - mine fits perfectly in a LP case.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... e-Les-Paul

If you want "accurate" there was a build thread on MyLesPaul.com where a guy took a 59 completely apart and mic'd everything, measured wood density, duplicated the binding and everything else you can think of. Not only wound his own pups (after measuring a bunch of vintage PAF's), he even rolled his own bumble bees. The thread is fascinating and I'll try to find it for you. Several folks asked for his plans but he refused to publish them.
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

Is that the guy from Israel? There was a guy on teh TDPRI wo makes some incredible repros...
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Louie Atienza wrote:Is that the guy from Israel? There was a guy on teh TDPRI wo makes some incredible repros...

Yes, somewhere I have the thread bookmarked.
Roger Rosenberger

Freeman, I read through your thread on HC...very nice.
Gerry Beckles

Post by Gerry Beckles »

In case you wanted the Les Paul link from TDPRI:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-de ... build.html

Hope this helps.

- Gerry
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

This may interest you. This guy makes some very nice template sets. I've got quite a few sets of them in my shop now. He offers them in laser cut and cnc cut and has a complete set for the 59 LP (which I have). It seems pretty accurate to me. I always reproduce these templates on 1/2" or 3/4" ply for the actual build though. I wouldn't recommend using his actual templates for the build itself. Instead, copy them on something heavier and save his templates as "masters".
http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/ ... Family.htm
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

I'm in talks with a client for a build... already have a nice chunk of quilt and a 1-piece honduran mahogany billet for the back.
Attachments
LP1.jpg
LP2.jpg
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

Hey Louie, ...not sure if that's just a generic picture you have above so I thought I'd ask.....will it be a Goldtop?
Louie Atienza

Post by Louie Atienza »

Eddie, it will be a quilt top. This is actually my CAM software. I just used colors that were close so I could easily select each part by color. Wish I had rendering in my CAM software...
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

Ahh, gotcha. I knew it was your software, just wasn't sure if it was indicative of the actual finish you were gonna use. I've done a few goldtops recently which is the reason I asked.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”