Denim Covered Telecaster

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
rob bowen

Denim Covered Telecaster

Post by rob bowen »

I made a body for a Tele neck that I had a few years back. Looking for an alternative to paint, I decided to try and cover it with denim from a worn out pair of GWG's. Here is a link to some build pics and description. http://my-denim-guitar.blogspot.ca/
Attachments
tel29.JPG
tel22.JPG
109.JPG
092.JPG
Bryan Bear

Re: Denim Covered Telecaster

Post by Bryan Bear »

Wow! That isn't necessarily my cup of tea but I do think it is cool. Looks like you did a good job too. How long has the fabric been glued in place and how is it holding up? A denim upholstered case wold be a nice compliment.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
rob bowen

Post by rob bowen »

Thanks Bryan! It has been a few years now and it looks fine, hardly any wear at all that I can see.
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

What does she sound like? Looks sweet :)
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Hey, that's pretty cool! You went to a lot of trouble to plan out all the pieces and sew them to fit. It looks good.

So, on your blog you say you wetted the fabric and wood, used "carpenter glue" as an adhesive, then stapled the face and back pieces to the sides. I can understand wetting the denim to make it swell a bit so it stretches tight when dry, but why the body? And what glue is it you used? The glue didn't soak through the fabric?
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Looks "huggable" and friendly.
rob bowen

Post by rob bowen »

Ha, ha, yes, thank you Matthew. It's not cold on the tummy without a shirt on.
rob bowen

Post by rob bowen »

Thanks Eric, it sounds incredible. I was really surprised the first time I played it loud at a club. Considering it was made of 16 strips glued together. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan PAF. The sound is very rich in tone, growly, creamy, everything. The sustain is nice, and it can be a real dirty mouthed girl.
rob bowen

Post by rob bowen »

Hi Jason, the water was wiped onto the wood body just so the glue would soak in a bit. Not really necessary, but I did it to please myself. I used Lepage's Carpenter's glue. I was a bit nervous about the glue soaking through, and if it did anywhere, I did not notice. There are no rough areas on the denim, which would be a sign of that possibly. Nice thing about the glue in the damp fabric ... in tricky areas where I needed a smooth edge, the fabric "molded" nicely as the glue was starting to set.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

I wouldn't have thought of wetting the fabric. This gives me ideas.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”