What Kind of tone cardboard did they use?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jason Rodgers

Re: What Kind of tone cardboard did they use?

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Ahhh, ya beat me to it!!!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

That thing is awesome. Do you think they soaked the cardboard with some sort of resin to give it more stability? I can't believe the neck joint holds up.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

Actually, corrugated cardboard laminated with the correct orientation of the corrugations is surprisingly strong.
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Bill Raymond wrote:Actually, corrugated cardboard laminated with the correct orientation of the corrugations is surprisingly strong.
It may be but how does it hold the screws to hold the neck or the screws to hold the bridge. In the video the show lining up the the individual layers so I bet they use a clear epoxy. Or some other bonding agent that offers more strength.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

yeah, for strength I probably would have alternated the direction of the cardboard orientation in the body. The neck probably needs the orientation all in one direction. It would be pretty darn fragile if they didn't have some epoxy that soaked into the cardboard a bit.
Paul Kincaid

Post by Paul Kincaid »

I was wondering about getting the frets to stay. I assume they are glued. "It sounds like a Strat" -just goes to show you how much tone wood may or may not contribute to tone.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

The statement "it sounds like a Strat", may or may not have much validity. It depends on who made the comment and whether they were invested in this guitar.
MIMF Staff
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlKWBLO9ZI

If you watch they use several methods to make the cardboard more structurally ridged. Including using ridged.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Paul Kincaid

Post by Paul Kincaid »

I realize that a single quote doesn't mean much, but if anyone other than Leo says something about a strat with validity, it is likely someone considered by FMIC to be a master builder.
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

I think the guitar is pretty damn cool but I wish they showed more details of the construction, has it got a truss rod? I can't imagine a traditional one would work at all. I'm surprised they didn't put a flat piece of cardboard on for the fretboard the raw open edge of the cardboard surely wouldn't give a comfortable feel either on the fb or back of the neck. I also agree it would be nice to know how they put the frets in.... It obviously works though!
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

If you stop the video at 1:28 you can see the the CNC router at work and it has already cut a truss rod slot. You get another view of the slot post-machining at 1:31, and a view of them inserting the fretboard dots into the neck immediately afterwards. At 1:34 they are boring into the end of the neck. The Signal Snowboards website blog (http://signalsnowboards.com/blog) has more pictures, and you can clearly see a truss rod when the neck if face-on.

They don't talk about the treatment of the cardboard in the guitar video, but they do in their cardboard surfboard video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrIidL34rfw). At 1:01 in that video the engineer talks about spraying the cardboard with "poly" (-urathane, I am guessing) to waterproof the paper inside and out and how it also gives the paper a lot of additional strength.

How hard can it be to glue up a bunch of left over Christmas boxes to experiment?
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”