laminating wood for the body

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dave Tays

laminating wood for the body

Post by Dave Tays »

I have some questions about laminating wood for the body of my guitar. I have a really nice piece of zebra wood and want to laminate 2 pieces of zebra and one piece of mahogany in the middle and the wings be mahogany (5 piece body). I see this often with through body necks but not with bolt on necks. Is there a reason why? Is the string tension going to be to much for the laminate to take? or is there some other reason that I am missing?
Ben Fleenor

Re: laminating wood for the body

Post by Ben Fleenor »

If the laminates are glued well, they will be just a strong as a one piece body. There's not really a reason that you only see it on neck-throughs, except that it's more work on a bolt-on than a one or two piece body. I'm working on some guitars like what you're describing, with a laminated section in the body that matches the neck.
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Tayser,
Please note that we require the use of real full names (first and last) on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let myself or one of the other staff members know your name so that we can update your registration.
Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Thanks Dave, your registration has been updated.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”