question re layout

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Robert Smallwood

question re layout

Post by Robert Smallwood »

HI I have a figured top (Marri - type of West Australia eucalypt) which has two (bookmatched) knot holes.

I have read up on repairing knots, and considered inlaying something or other..

I fiddled with the templates & if I skew them I can miss both holes, but of course the join line will no longer be co-incident with the centreline of the guitar.

Has anyone ever done such a layout? Do you think it would look odd with the join line sloping from left to right?

All suggestions welcome.

Rob.
Barry Daniels

Re: question re layout

Post by Barry Daniels »

Not a problem with a guitar back but I have never seen it done on a top. Structurally, there probably isn't a significant issue with skewed grain. Acoustically, it might be detrimental, but I'm not sure I could explain why.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

I wouldn't think it (the skewed top) would have any effect on a solid body guitar's sound. It's the sort of thing Harry Fleishman might do. That said I don't mind knotholes or knots on guitar tops so I wouldn't go too out of my way to hide them though probably what I would do is design a smaller body that missed the knots or wait for a better top to come along.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I did not realize this was the solid body section. Never mind.
MIMF Staff
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Can you post a picture of the boards and a pencil line of the body out line?
I am thinking that symmetry is what most people feel is beautiful.
So if you could maybe add a third piece of wood in the center (like ebony or another contrast wood) with the correct width it might help move the knots so it is no longer in the used area.

Have you ever seen the Santana mode prs? it has 2 strips of binding to separate the flame maple top.
If you play with the design, I am sure there is a way to use the wood you have and not include the knots.

Easiest way to tinker with it wet it a little so the grain pops a bit and take it to a photo copy place print out several pieces. then move the pieces cut them do what ever. You not hurting the wood only the photo copies.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Robert Smallwood

Post by Robert Smallwood »

I believe I can dodge the knots. Thanks for the suggestion/s.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”