Henrique Schneiter's First Bass

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Henrique Schneiter

Henrique Schneiter's First Bass

Post by Henrique Schneiter »

My first try on a bass guitar.

Body: marupá
Neck: goiabão
Fretboard: indian rosewood

Electronics:
Golden Age Jazz Bass pickups
Balance pot
Tone pot

Finish:
Nitro on the body
Linseed oil for neck and fretboard

Comments welcome!
Attachments
DSCF3976.JPG
DSCF39832.jpg
DSCF3997.JPG
DSCF3994.JPG
DSCF3982.JPG
Peter Wilcox

Re: Henrique Schneiter's First Bass

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Good looking bass - nice design. I like the way the jack and control knobs follow the line of the upper horn. I like the headstock too.

Is the black line around the body a laminate or binding? Whichever it is, it is striking. How did you do it?
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Henrique Schneiter

Thanks Peter! It's black plastic binding, that was installed before the carving on the top.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I love it. That base makes me want to run across a very large stage. It makes me want to leap from the FOH speaker stack and soar over the audience. I love it. Thank you. Seriously, it exudes a feeling of motion.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Henrique Schneiter wrote:Thanks Peter! It's black plastic binding, that was installed before the carving on the top.
Henrique, can you tell me the order of the steps you took to install it? It looks like it has a semicircular or rounded cross section and stands proud of the wood. Did it come like this, or did you shape it? Did you route a groove for the binding, then install the binding and then carve the wood? How did you keep from digging into the binding when carving? Or is it just an optical illusion in the photo that it is proud of the carving? Thanks - I'd like to be able to do this too.
Henrique Schneiter

Thanks a lot Gilbert! Certainly you could do that, I forgot to mention that it's very well balanced and quite lightweight for a bass. I'm very happy with it.

Peter, that's an optical illusion! The binding is flush with the sides and the top. The binding was installed before the carving, in the desired "depth", and then I hand carved the top until I knocked off the outer/upper edge of the binding. Some pics below.
Attachments
bind.jpg
Henrique Schneiter

After the gross part of the carving.
Attachments
carv.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Thanks Henrique. I really like that look - I think I'll try it on a carved maple top instrument to separate the maple from the back wood.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”