quick question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Leonardo Silva

quick question

Post by Leonardo Silva »

for a right handed stratocaster build, do I need 6R or 6L machine tuners?, I'm confused!

sorry for the stupid question, but I really don't want to mess up and buy the wrong ones.
David King

Re: quick question

Post by David King »

Generally speaking, the Left and Right refers to the side that the buttons are on when viewing the front of the headstock in a vertical position. With that in mind you most likely want the 6L tuners.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I too have been, am, and probably will be confused about this until I die. Apparently some vendors (especially Chinese and ebay) consider R to mean for a right handed instrument, and L for left hand - that is, they go on the side viewed from the back, just the opposite of the convention David mentions. In my limited experience, if tuners are being sold for a branded type instrument (strat, tele, fender bases etc.) they are for a right handed instrument unless specifically noted for lefty.

More confusion exists for two sided headstocks with unequal numbers of tuners (4L1R, 3R2L etc.) When I buy I look at the picture (which is hopefully correct) to order the configuration I want. Of course, flipping those tuners around in my head can lead to confusion too. :)
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva »

ok, that's useful, then I'm not as dumb as I guessed, I ordered some "stratocaster" fender tuners, that way I can't go wrong (even the pictures show a strat headstock with the tuners)

sometimes it's even trickier with those chinese pages, customer support is bullcrap.
Jamie Unden

Post by Jamie Unden »

If the photo is correct, go with that. When looking at the front of the headstock, you want the tuning shaft further from the nut than the string shaft.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Yes, you want the string shaft between the tuning shaft and the nut. That way, the string tension will pull the worm gear into the worm through a fulcrum that exists somewhere between the string attachment and the worm gear, making it less likely the gears will be loose and sloppy or strip.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Thomas Dooher

Post by Thomas Dooher »

I bought some from eBay/chinese vendor that were listed as 6R, for a right handed guitar, so that's my experience.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”