Removing a neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Richards

Removing a neck

Post by Chris Richards »

I've been asked to replace a neck on a 335 type guitar.... I'd like to try steam, rather than going down the "brutal" route, but I've never done this before, could anyone advise me on the "whys and wherefores" of using steam basically how to do it and what to watch out for?

Many thanks
Mark Swanson

Re: Removing a neck

Post by Mark Swanson »

If the neck is bad and you are not going to save it, it may be easier and better to cut and carve it out. Steam can have bad effects on the rest of the body and finish, and I don't imagine cutting routing and chiseling it out would take long.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Here is a video from you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSb5Tqjn6ts
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Thanks for the replies.... The old neck is not wanted and owner is fine regarding me sawing it off, he wants the neck replaced to match another guitar I built for him some time ago. But it does go against the grain (no pun intended!) for me to cut it off. It's a 335 type guitar so I don't know the exact configuration of the neck joint... I should be getting the guitar this weekend, so following a good study I'll decide which route to go but I DEFINITELY want to avoid damaging the body finish.

Many thanks for your replies....
John Catto

Post by John Catto »

Don't just hack the neck off. First of all remove the fingerboard. I use a household Steam Iron with a thing sharp spatula/scraper to do this. It'll come off intact with all the frets if you're careful. Once that's done you'll clearly see the neck joint, no need to guess plus you should be able to reuse the board.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”