Neck Through Blank

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Alexander Higgins

Neck Through Blank

Post by Alexander Higgins »

I don't think I have the skills yet to make a through body neck from scratch, looking for source for a through body neck blank. The only one I can find online is a Carvin blank with a rosewood fingerboard. I was hoping to find something with an ebony board, anyone got a lead for me?
Edgar Jessop

Re: Neck Through Blank

Post by Edgar Jessop »

On the Carvin neck, an ebony fingerboard is a $15 option.
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

I think the carvin neck are all 25 inch scale so keep that in mind if you buy
saw one one ebay a while back and thought I would bid, but forgot to go back to it, until after the end.
It sold for like 200, at that price I would rather get it from carvin and spec it just the way I want
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Alexander Higgins

Post by Alexander Higgins »

Has anyone used one of these necks? Any opinions on the quality?
Edgar Jessop

Post by Edgar Jessop »

I bought four of their glue-in necks back in the mid-80's when they were all 24 ¾ scale. One was an obvious "second" from the production line. I sent it back and it was exchanged without question. In 1988 I bought a 12 string 24 ¾ neck-through. It was and still is just fine. I thought they were expensive back then when they were $150.
Steven Wheeler

Post by Steven Wheeler »

Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Those are also 25 inch scale not 25.5 so factor that ino your design.

I wish they offered other woods for the neck other than maple but I guess thats the biggest seller. You would think once the set up the cnc it would just be a simple
up charge to change the wood.
Keith VanDen Heuvel

Post by Keith VanDen Heuvel »

The StewMac and the Carvin Necks appear to be the exact same neck. I would not be surprised if they were just being sold by the different retailers but coming from the same manufacturer. Same materials, scale length, radius, truss rod cover, etc. The big difference is that the Carvin neck is currently selling for a lower price. Besk of luck whichever way you go.
David King

Post by David King »

Carvin makes the necks, that may explain the lower price.
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

I have used the Carvin neck, but I cut down the body 1/2" and put a figured top on. I think they are a very good value. I also slotted the headstock.
James Tonguet

Post by James Tonguet »

I've been using Carvin necks for 15 years , always been very satisfied . Ebony fretboards were standard until last year , the upcharge is worth it .

Note their standard radius is 14" , typically I'll opt for a 12"
Keith Howell

Post by Keith Howell »

Keith VanDen Heuvel wrote:The StewMac and the Carvin Necks appear to be the exact same neck. I would not be surprised if they were just being sold by the different retailers but coming from the same manufacturer. Same materials, scale length, radius, truss rod cover, etc. The big difference is that the Carvin neck is currently selling for a lower price. Besk of luck whichever way you go.
The Stew-Mac necks and the Carvin necks are indeed the same. The ones we received from Stew-Mac were even in a Carvin Box with a sticker over the Carvin lable!
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

not trying to steal the thread, but cannot figure out where to locate the bridge properly? The Stew Mac fret calculator doesn't cover the bridge I have and is designed to go from fretboard side of nut to a screw hole which of course is different on different bridges.
So on Carvin neck how do you figure out bridge placement?
In addition, I would recommend figuring out the bridge position prior to adding the wood wings to the thru neck. As well as realize they put on a plastic nut to the carvin thru neck.
David King

Post by David King »

Measure from the center of the 12th fret to the front edge of the nut. Double this number and make a line. Take the bridge and adjust all the saddles as far forward as they will go. Align the thinest string's (high E string presumably) saddle over the line making sure that all the saddles have a at least 3/16" space behind them to move back for intonation.
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

If you go to the carvin site and build the neck you can specify many different options and a tusq nut is one of the options you can get.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”