Installing these threaded neck inserts

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jedi Clampett

Installing these threaded neck inserts

Post by Jedi Clampett »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WC ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought these threaded brass inserts for neck inserts for a bolt on guitar. I have some question about installation.

Do I tap threads into the neck first, before installing inserts? (obviously tapping for the inserts external thread.

When you use a drill press for the install, are you pressing them in? turning the drill press by hand? or running the drill press slowly to install threads?

Thanks for the help and any other advice about threaded insert neck installation?
Bob Gramann

Re: Installing these threaded neck inserts

Post by Bob Gramann »

These inserts do not require that the wood be tapped for threads before you install them. Make sure that the hole you drill is no smaller than the diameter do the barrel (inside the external threads)--if it fits too tightly, it will be very hard to turn in the insert and you have potential to split the wood. Drill a millimeter or so deeper than the insert to make sure the insert doesn't bottom out before it is fully inserted. Leave the slots up so you can back out the insert with a screwdriver if you have a problem. I put the insert on the end of a bolt with the head cutoff with a stop nut. After drilling the hole, and without removing the neck from the clamp, I put the bolt into the drill press and turn the insert in by hand.
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

My other post didn't post. So, this is somewhat of a repeat. I use inserts like these from Woodcraft. Here's a pointer to their instructions.
http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77A27.pdf

Don't be tempted to drive them in with a screwdriver. They will definitely break on you. I use the t-handle tool but Bob's method will work just as well. It's very similar to tapping threads. As he mentions, make sure to clamp the sides of the necks to keep it from splitting. Some woods, like quartersawn or mahogany, are more prone than flatsawn maple to split out and the clamp keeps the pressure off. Keeping the starting pilot going straight using the drill press will work very well. The t-handle works well for me but it can be a little tricky getting it started.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I didn't say it earlier, but I put a half-inch dowel in the heel with its edge 1/4 inch from the surface both to provide some cross grain support for the heel to keep it from splitting and to provide some cross grain bite for the insert so that it's not pulling on just end grain.
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Is 8-32 robust enough to bolt on a neck? I'm not saying it's not, but in the few I've done I've used 1/4-20.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

Peter Wilcox wrote:Is 8-32 robust enough to bolt on a neck? I'm not saying it's not, but in the few I've done I've used 1/4-20.
from everything I have read that 8-32 is plenty and is able to put 500 lbs of force.
I just plan on putting them in a bunch of guitars to get experience and see the difference if any.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

RM Mattola did a test of different threaded inserts in a 2010 American Lutherie article and found that fine thread inserts held better. http://liutaiomottola.com/research/threadedInsert.htm
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
David King

Post by David King »

Unless you are threading into very soft neckwood inserts aren't necessary. Tap fine machine screw threads directly into the wood using the correct drill for 90% thread engagement. I use a .136" drill and an 10-32 spiral flute bottoming tap. If you are worried about the threads stripping out you can soak them in thin CA and retap the next day (when you are absolutely sure that the glue has kicked.) The result is much stronger than the equivalent wood screw.
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

I've not had any problems with brass 8-32 inserts although larger ones could be used. It does make it easy to take the neck on and off to adjust the truss rod, which I often put in the heel. Wood screws like the traditional Fenders aren't a bad thing, I just started doing it when those had stripped out on a used neck I bought. Here's a picture of the inserts in place. A couple of things different are that I put them a little further from the edge which requires screws and ferrules instead of the traditional neck plate. The discoloration around the holes is from the superglue that I soak around the outside threads after installing. Not sure you need to do either of these things but I also wear a belt and suspenders as a safety man :)
Attachments
inserts.gif
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

I have purchased both of the retail versions sold as made specifically for guitar application,
both had 8-32 inserts so I just started to use ss inserts 8-32.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”