First Bass Build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Michael Brose

First Bass Build

Post by Michael Brose »

Hey folks. Couldn't stand it, I wanted to share this and it's not even done! I really like it, it plays great! Well ballanced.

I used
Local Black Walnut for the top and neck center
Local Maple for the back and neck laminate
Honduras Mahogany I found here which came from the closed Wurlitzer plant in town
34" scale

I didn't feel like cutting any pearl for inlay and didn't have the $$ so I just noodled on the first and twelth with my Dremel
and filled it with black epoxy. I put a seal coat of shellac on it this week and went ahead and strung it up to do a test fit/run.
It works! hah! I am going to use a lighter gauge string than what I had available in the shop so I do not have the proper nut
on it in these pics. I used some used Jbass pickups I had from somewhere. This was just a test run to see if I could do it. The
build went realatively quick (compared to building an acoustic). Now to dis-assemble it and finish the sucker out and build
some more modeled after it. I need to make some router templates for the pickups and some other stuff like that to make
the next easier. Comments welcome! Thanks!

Warren May

Re: First Bass Build

Post by Warren May »

Very nicely done.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

Sweet bass!
Jedi Clampett

Post by Jedi Clampett »

what I like too is cutting the body shape after establishing where the hardware goes and fab the pickup cavities. Having somewhere to square off of is great.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”