finished tele style

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Walsh

finished tele style

Post by Chris Walsh »

It's been a while since I posted a build. I usually do a batch of three ...and this no exception, although I won't go on too much with photos. The usual suspects at play here...but the body wood, I thought, was pretty special. It's red maple... both flame and spalted...one solid piece. I bought it locally here in CT...and bought one piece...enough to get six bodies... some better than others...and I just love some of the characteristics of this wood...anyway...enjoy.
Attachments
tele5a.jpg
tele4a.jpg
tele1a.jpg
Last edited by Chris Walsh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Walsh

Re: finished tele style

Post by Chris Walsh »

couple more
Attachments
tele101513.7a.jpg
tele101513.5a.jpg
Art Davila

Post by Art Davila »

Very nice looking curves on a tele.
I am having wood lust, very nice buy.
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Beautiful, Chris! Is the finish tinted or is that the color of the wood?
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

Those are some lovely tele's!
Chris Walsh

Post by Chris Walsh »

thanks Mark and all..yes I threw some vintage amber tint at it. I ran a course of dark reddish brown to pull out some of that figure...sanded it all back....sealed...then a few coats of amber. I'll probably catch a little grief from the purists...but I'm just having a little fun with this stuff.

If I can't throw my own twist into things...it's just doesn't feel right. It feels like "cookie-cutter" stuff...especially these solid bodies. I mostly carved away the relief areas...just to say everything WASN't done with a pin router....but much of these bodies..necks..etc...a lot of it pin routed...with jigs/fixtures/templates etc. Don't get me wrong...I love the consistency/repeatability/uniformity/reliability/time savings...it's all good...but if you're not "twerkin it" ...what a bore! :)

I will say...I've set up my spray booth ..with a '19 box fan and a "tunnel" of sorts to spray nitro....and I'm never going back to water base anything...done the behlens and the seagrave...and both are leaps and bounds above any water base anything...and I've used plenty of them. Talk about eliminating a headache.
Michael Baresi

Post by Michael Baresi »

Nice tele Chris!
I have to agree with you that "If I can't throw my own twist into things...it's just doesn't feel right."
and "..what a bore! :)"
Im beginning my own tele project now. Nothing radically different but like you I intend to put the arm and belly contours and maybe a couple other changes.
Nice work.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”