Semi-restored Axstar by Ibanez

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Schmitt

Semi-restored Axstar by Ibanez

Post by Eric Schmitt »

This is my newest finished project, a semi-restored Axstar by Ibanez. I'm calling it a semi-restore because while I did give the guitar new life, it's not restored 100% original. The color I chose isn't a factory color, It's wired a bit differently, I put a humbucker in the mid position instead of a single coil, and since they're impossible to find other than the body the parts and hardware are not axstar originals. I did use all Ibanez parts and hardware except for the bridge. I used a Wilkinson tremolo because I don't care for the Strat style tremolos that Ibanez uses.

Here's the breakdown of everything: Body is an Axstar painted with Rustoleum lagoon blue spray paint & clear coated with lacquer. The neck is an Ibanez Wizard 22 fret neck with triangle inlay. Bridge is a Wilkinson Strat style tremolo. For the pickups I used Ibanez QM1 & QM2 in the neck & middle positions respectively. The bridge pickup is an IBZ/USA F2 which was designed & made by DiMarzio for Ibanez. The rest of the hardware was bought on eBay & came from various banez guitars.
Attachments
Full Guitar
Full Guitar
Close Up View
Close Up View
Eric Schmitt

Re: Semi-restored Axstar by Ibanez

Post by Eric Schmitt »

Here's some pictures of the process
Attachments
This is what I started with.  Looks pretty rough
This is what I started with. Looks pretty rough
Body sanded down to bare wood
Body sanded down to bare wood
Sanding sealer applied
Sanding sealer applied
3 coats of primer sprayed on
3 coats of primer sprayed on
Finished painting with rustoleum lagoon blue
Finished painting with rustoleum lagoon blue
Bob Francis

Re: Semi-restored Axstar by Ibanez

Post by Bob Francis »

Nice work Eric

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”