Next Bass to build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jeff Mills

Next Bass to build

Post by Jeff Mills »

I'm getting a powerful itch to build another 4 string bass guitar. A quick build with a bolt on neck - I already bought the maple and rosewood I need and have it my dehumidifier box so It doesn't pick up any moisture. I'll be ordering all the hardware next week. Only Item I can't seem to locate is string mutes for the bridge. I may need to make my own mutes - any idea what the mute material to use? Also has anyone seen a plan for a Ernie Ball Music Man Classic Stringray 4 clone (pictured below)? I plan on starting the build in two weeks.

Image(copywriten image hidden by staff - please see our policy)
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.
John Kingma

Re: Next Bass to build

Post by John Kingma »

Sorry, I can't help you with your questions... but just for interest sake, my cousin bought that identical bass at a garage sale last fall for 75 bucks.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
John Meyers

Post by John Meyers »

There is a company that makes a string mute for bass. I know Bobby Babbit uses it from the Funk Brothers. You can also use a heavey grade foam and do it that way. The MusicMan bridge with the mutes is my favorite bridge of all time. I love the sound of a mutes bass. Keep us posted and I will look for that mute system and post it when I find it.
I don't make mistakes, I make adjustments!
John Meyers

Post by John Meyers »

I don't make mistakes, I make adjustments!
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi thebassbuilder,
We require the use of full names (first and last) on this forum, and do not accept aliases.
Please let us know your name so we can update your registration.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
David King

Post by David King »

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=g73c7c for foam. You want something between extra soft and soft. If you go with too hard a foam it rattles and too soft it won't mute. I'd also try piano felt, you can buy piano damper felt on ebay.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”