Basses finally done (almost)

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Peter Wilcox

Basses finally done (almost)

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I finally finished the reclaimed materials challenge basses. http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2146

I still have to make string trees and put a logo on the headstocks, but they are playable (taking them to weekly jam tonight.) There are finish issues (grain showing even after 6 coats of sealer and 10 of lacquer - should have sanded better or grain filed) but all in all a good learning experience. Thanks MIMF.

The strat in the picture is what I was finishing up when I started the basses. I guess this will be a Fenderish year for me.
Attachments
almost-done1.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Jamie Unden

Re: Basses finally done (almost)

Post by Jamie Unden »

They look great!
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

Nice work, Peter. The fretless with the minimalistic body style goes well together.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Those basses are very, very cool. It's a fun idea with the holes. 8-)
Hans Bezemer

Post by Hans Bezemer »

Nice work Peter,
I like the design!
James Tonguet

Post by James Tonguet »

Really like the approach , the fretless rocks
Ian Chester

Post by Ian Chester »

I love those holes, that's going into my memory bank and will get used!!!

Ian
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Thanks for the comments. The wrong pickup set (two bridge pickups) was shipped for the jazz bass. I now have the correct ones, but had to make a new pick guard for the correct size pickup (3/16" shorter.) Of course I snapped the point off the treble side, so glued it back and the glue line is visible. I should make a 3rd one, but I'll probably just paint over the line - I hate making pick guards. I love the neck profile and low action. The sound is OK, but I much prefer the P bass sound. However, I hate its neck, so it's off to rework - about 1/8" thinner, and more of a soft "V" instead of the "U" shape profile it has.

They turned out great for my simple purposes, and light weight because of the thinner bodies and the "holes." Now for a 5 string.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”