Aligning the neck for drilling

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Matt Madden

Aligning the neck for drilling

Post by Matt Madden »

I could use some help on this one. I have a MIJ Squier bullet body to which I am going to attach a Guitar Fetish strat-style neck. This is a budget project :)

The neck fits in the neck pocket pretty well, but not super tight. I'm looking for advice on how to align it prior to drilling the screw holes. So far I am thinking a C-clamp against the neck plate with a caul over the fret board, then line it up with the bridge, and mark the hole locations through the holes in the body. Any tips on keeping things straight would be appreciated.

Matt
Mark Swanson

Re: Aligning the neck for drilling

Post by Mark Swanson »

Clamp the neck in place as you said, but use a caul that will allow clearance at each side of the neck to run a tight string for alignment purposes. I use an elastic string, or a rubber band will work. Place it in each of the E string slots and make sure the neck is aligned as well as you can get it by stretching the string from the nut to the bridge.
Plug the holes in the neck with some good dowels. I like to drill the existing holes a little bigger, say 1/4". Then when the neck is in position, mark the new holes' positions with a punch sharpened to a point that fits snugly in the holes in the body to keep the marks accurate.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dan Rocha

Post by Dan Rocha »

Clamp it as you described.
String up the E's and nudge until they are even.
Use transfer punch (or similar) to mark the neck for drilling locations.
Profit.
Matt Madden

Post by Matt Madden »

Great, thanks.

Mark, it's a new neck on an old body, so no holes to fill. But I got you, otherwise.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Ok. One more thing that some folks miss- the screws are supposed to easily pass through the body, and only thread into the neck itself. If the screw threads are grabbing in the body as well, drill out the holes just enough to make them freely pass, or use smaller screws. Some folks miss this, and it can cause a bad fit between the body and neck and not allow the screws to pull the neck tight to the body.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
John Catto

Post by John Catto »

What Mark said. Body holes "just" bigger than the screws. Otherwise you can't develop any torque. Plus it's likely that ghe neck won't sit flat in the pocket.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”