A Stratocaster-inspired guitar from Mark Swanson

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Markku Nyytäjä

Re: A Stratocaster-inspired guitar from Mark Swanson

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

Very nice!
John Kingma

Post by John Kingma »

That's a sweet looking Strat, Mark. The fretboard inlay is incredible.
John Kingma,
Builder of Fine Sawdust & Expensive Kindling
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

Nice, Nice, and a third Nice! You really do make some outstanding instruments Mark.

I can't get the 6 separate nuts out of my head, it looks so gorgeous. I'm trying to figure out a reason you couldn't do that on an acoustic (as long as you didn't want to intonate the nut).

Are the two strips on the body back Osage?
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Thank you Randy! You could do that nut style on an acoustic. It is true that you can't intonate the nut, but you can move the zero fret just a little bit forward. I don't have many intonation troubles though.
The stripes on the back have an interesting story. Before I was born in 1956, my mother had an old pump organ and it broke down, so she tore most of it apart and she put it in the basement. When I helped my 91 year old Dad move out of the family home last year. I found the remnants of that organ in a deep dark corner of the basement...so I made an amp stand out of part of it, and I made those center stripes out of it too! They are oak.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Greg Carter

Post by Greg Carter »

Mark, any interest in either sharing the tone circuit, the "Q" of it, or commercializing it? I envision a little circuit board glued to the end of a pot for retrofits, or pushing forward a clean guitar front view, a la, on a two pup system, volume, blend, and this "Q". Clean lines and doesn't clutter the view of the wood, similar to a PRS without a Varitone switch.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

What a fine job. There are so many interesting things going on I don't know where to start. Love that inlay, set neck, zero fret and much more. I've shied away from set necks for too long. A guitar like this that needs no neck angle would be a good place for me to start. Any tips on shaping a heel like that. I've tried a few time and before I'm done I have a Fender style heel every time. Once again great job Mark.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”