slotting the nut

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

slotting the nut

Postby Chris Tremble » Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi,
Im working on my first build, and have radiused my fingerboard, cut the fret slots and marked out where my nut will be located. How do I determine the height of my nut? Im using a graph tec nut which is radiused on the bottom which brings me to my next question. How do I make a radiused slot for the nut to fit in?

Chris Tremble
Chris Tremble

Re: slotting the nut

Postby Nick Middleton » Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm

It's a lot of work to make a matching nut-slot in that style. Since you are building a new neck then I would suggest to instead make a flat-slot on the neck and simply file the underside of the nut until it becomes flat and matches. Prep the nut first to make sure you know how deep to cut the slot on the neck.
Nick Middleton

Postby Chris Tremble » Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 pm

That makes alot of sense.
Thanks very much. :D
Chris Tremble

Postby Nick Middleton » Wed May 22, 2013 11:16 am

You're welcome. I only bother with the rounded bottom nuts when replacing it on a guitar that came that way. I would not go out of my way to build a new on that way.
Nick Middleton

Postby Mark Swanson » Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm

You'll have to slot it as well, the slots in a pre-made nut are only meant to be the starting points. You'll need to make finished slots.
    Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mark Swanson

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars