12-string nut cut

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Richards

12-string nut cut

Post by Chris Richards »

Hi all

I was just wondering if there was any guide lines for cutting the string slots in for a 12-string nut, it's a Fender width nut electric, other than stringing it up and doing it by eye I'm a bit lost, is there any formula or guide lines? I'm not worried about the depth as the neck has a zero fret so that's something I don't have to worry about, just the string spacing.

Many thanks Chris
Darrel Friesen

Re: 12-string nut cut

Post by Darrel Friesen »

The Stewmacs nut spacing ruler makes it an easy job.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Does it, Darrel? I've got that rule, and it works great for 6 string instruments but I never saw a way to make it work on double-course instruments. Maybe I am missing something, that's been known to happen.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I use the StewMac ruler for double course to mark bass-side string of each pair. I then make the other string a fixed distance from the marked one. The fixed distance depends on the instrument and the string gauges.
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

I use the stewmac tool for 12 strings also. I first determine how close to the fretboard edge I want to two outer strings and I actually lay a string to make sure that I'm satisfied with the fretboard edge to string setting on both sides of the fretboard. I'll mark the outer edge slot positions with a scribe on the nut. I then determine how far apart I want the two high E-strings and scribe the nut for the inner high E-String position. At this point, I have three scribe marks, one for the 12th string and two more for the high E-String pair (1&2). I use the stewmac gauge to set the interval between the 12th string and the 2nd string and scribe the positions on the nut and I will mark the two end points on the rule with a sharpie. At this point I will usually count one or two spaces upward (toward the treble or tighter end) on the stewmac rule from my sharpie marks shifting the interval of the six string positions slightly tighter and use the 1st string as the reference point for the tighter interval. This provides an ever so slight increase in pair spacing toward the bass strings which allows me to put the treble strings slightly loser together than they would be otherwise. -clear as mud?

I can't say what I use to determine the distance between the two high E-Strings but I tend to put them closer together than I normally see on production guitars and my clients like it.

I use the same process for mandolins and other paired or tripled instruments.
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Thanks for the replies....I can see that this is not going to be a quick job! I think I'll string the guitar and do it by eye. with all the different diameter strings I think what looks right might be better than what a ruler says...Maybe!!!!
Darrel Friesen

Post by Darrel Friesen »

Mark Swanson wrote:Does it, Darrel? I've got that rule, and it works great for 6 string instruments but I never saw a way to make it work on double-course instruments. Maybe I am missing something, that's been known to happen.
Come to think of it, I spoke a little out of turn. I use it to mark the six string spacing then set the octave strings more or less by eye comparing it to one of my other six strings. It's been a couple of years since I built a 12 string.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”