Bass and 12 string bridge position

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Richards

Bass and 12 string bridge position

Post by Chris Richards »

Hi....

I'm sure someone will be able to help with this question.... I'm quite excited I've been asked to make a double neck, Bass and 12 string for a Genesis band that are touring in March, the guitar is loosely a copy of Mike Rutherfords "bolt rogether" Shergold which could be played as a two guitars or bolted together as a twin neck.. I'm fortunate in that the customer has supplied the necks otherwise the time frame would have been impossible, I'm well underway with the body templates finalised which is nice as I can mock the whole thing up and it seems to fit together well, I've got a local engineer machining the body joining mechanism and he's doing a fantastic job... The original Shergold method was a bit "clumsy" looking.

Anyhow my question is, I need to get both the 12 string and Bass bridges positioned and having only really worked on Fender 6 strings and not 12 strings and basses!.. I wanted to make sure I get them in the right place, is it just a case of doubling the distance to the 12 fret? or are there slight adjustments to this measurement for a 12 & Bass?

Many thanks....Chris
Rodger Knox

Re: Bass and 12 string bridge position

Post by Rodger Knox »

That's close, but not quite exact. Research compensation, that will explain what you need to know.
By the way, compensation applies to 6 string fenders as well as 12s and basses.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Chris Richards

Re: Bass and 12 string bridge position

Post by Chris Richards »

Thanks Rodger...

I've looked "compensation" up and have got a better idea of where to fit the bridge....It's just that with Fender's I have templates with the bridge mounting screw holes already drilled so I've never really been too concerned.

Thanks Chris

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”