kahler 2450 bass bridge?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Johnathan Sibley

kahler 2450 bass bridge?

Post by Johnathan Sibley »

Building a 5string fretless for my father inlaw. The bridge is a kahler 2450. My question is placement. Where should the bridge lay in relation to the theretical end of scale line?
David King

Re: kahler 2450 bass bridge?

Post by David King »

Jonathan,
Do you have the bridge in hand?
Start by moving all of the saddles to their forward-most positions. Draw a line across the body at the end of the scale. Because this bridge is staggered I would line up the middle (A) string saddle breaking point with the line. If the B string saddle is more than 1/8" behind the line I'd move the whole bridge forward by 1/32". Now move the G string (or C string) saddle as far back as it will go and make sure it's at least 1/16" behind the line. If you can't meet both those criteria you will limit the string choices that will intonate to the stiffer strings on the market i.e. lower quality strings.
In my view staggered bridges are a solution in search of a problem.
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

Technically, for a fretless it doesn't matter. This is why bridges on violins and upright basses are not intonated. You just have to get them to the right scale length.

Personally I intonate my fretless basses to the imaginary 12th fret, but on a fretless intonation is up to the player.
Johnathan Sibley

Post by Johnathan Sibley »

Thanx guys. I still can't believe it didn't come with any literature at all.
David King

Post by David King »

That's not the least bit surprising to me.
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

My experience on my 5 strings , one of which is fretless is that you need about 1/16 extra on the G string and 3/8 on the B string (with taper wound B) and a little more if the B is not tapered.
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

Jeff Highland wrote:My experience on my 5 strings , one of which is fretless is that you need about 1/16 extra on the G string and 3/8 on the B string (with taper wound B) and a little more if the B is not tapered.
Did you have lines on the fingerboard? If not it doesn't matter, because you will place your finger where the note is in tune, and not in some fixed position, as on a fretted neck. This is how an upright bass is. There is no compensation at the bridge. You have to correct for intonation.
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Well its a conversion, I have faint lines so I intonate to that at the 12th

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”