Dobro String Bender

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Dobro String Bender

Postby Andrew Porter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a string bender system suitable for a Dobro or lap steel? The desire come from wishing to drop the 2 and 5 strings to give a minor chord. Lacking that any thoughts on designing one.
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust
Andrew Porter

Re: Dobro String Bender

Postby Mark Swanson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Bending down, rather than up? That's an odd way to go. You could simply use a Hipshot tuner, that will be a preset to drop the string that 1/2 step.
For a lap steel guitar, I have learned the tuning used by David Gilmour, tuned from low to high DADGBE. This gives a minor chord on the high three while a major chord on the low strings.
    Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mark Swanson

Re: Dobro String Bender

Postby Andrew Porter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeah, I know thats kinda backwards but I figure pedal steel have knee levers that can bend down. I suppose I could bend the 1, 3, 4 & 6 strings up a half tone but that would mean three times as many benders.
World's Second Finest Maker of Expensive Sawdust
Andrew Porter

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars