Fabric covering on a guitar

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Perry Colomb

Fabric covering on a guitar

Post by Perry Colomb »

I remember seeing a guitar that someone posted pics of and it had fish on it?? It was on the old forum a few years back. The pattern was fabric that the builder epoxied/glued to the body then laquered? Does anyone remember this? I have search the library but no luck. I want to try this technique. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks as always.
Steve Senseney

Re: Fabric covering on a guitar

Post by Steve Senseney »

I am sure this was produced by Ellie Erickson.

Go to the Board index/MIMF library/ put Ellie Erickson's baritone lap steel guitar into the search engine, and hopefully you will find what you need.

http://www.mimf.com/old-lib/erickson_lapsteel.htm

I can't seem to get the picture to show however.
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

I tried posting earlier and hope this isn't a repost. Ellie did some really fun guitars. I got the idea for fabric for a pickguard on one of the $100 MIMF Halloween challenges from a couple of guitars seen on the forum. I used ModPodge to fix the fabric to a piece of maple then vinyl sealer and lacquer sanded to a matte finish.
Attachments
Spiderweb fabric
Spiderweb fabric
David Venzke

Post by David Venzke »

David Frassetto has been doing a number of fabric covered lap steel instruments in the last few years. His most recent was a lap steel for the $100 local materials challenge.

Frassetto Lap Steel
Perry Colomb

Post by Perry Colomb »

The pic of Ellie's wouldn't come up for me either. Thinking back, I believe the guitar I am thinking of was a tele and the fabric used was blue (water) and had very colorful goldfish or clown fish on it. I will keep digging :P
Jamie Unden

Post by Jamie Unden »

No, it was leopard print, with an amp to match.
Aaron Noguer

Post by Aaron Noguer »

Ellie's stuff was[?]/is the bomb where did she go anyway? I know I left here for a few years and now everyone I knew is gone :( anyway [sniffle] her blog still has the picts http://ellieguitarstwo.blogspot.com just scroll down... and her site http://www.ellieguitars.com
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Send her an email, Aaron. She's on Facebook too.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Phil DiVuolo

Post by Phil DiVuolo »

I occasionally make surfboards and I have used fabric inlays on them. One bit of caution, make sure that you test the fabric and the finish that you are using. Some of the dyes may run with your particular finish and ruin the project.
David Schwab

Post by David Schwab »

Steve Senseney wrote:I am sure this was produced by Ellie Erickson.

Go to the Board index/MIMF library/ put Ellie Erickson's baritone lap steel guitar into the search engine, and hopefully you will find what you need.

http://www.mimf.com/old-lib/erickson_lapsteel.htm

I can't seem to get the picture to show however.
The image link is not pointing to the old library:

The link should be

Code: Select all

/old-lib/erickson_baritonesteel.jpg

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”