Chad McCormack's "Equator" Semi-Hollow

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chad McCormack

Re: Chad McCormack's "Equator" Semi-Hollow

Post by Chad McCormack »

Hi Jim.

Thanks for the kind works. As for the router bit, you're not going to find one, since it doesn't exist out-of-the-box so to speak. To cut that channel, I took a rabbeting bit with a 1/4 cutter height, then found a bearing that was 1/8" smaller diameter so that I would have a 1/16" exposed cutter. That works out just about perfect for the wood binding sold by StewMac. My bit is a Porter Cable that I found at routerbitworld.com, but I just looked over there and can't seem to find that same bit anymore. Yikes!

Chad
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

Thanks Chad. I'll keep looking.
Pete Halliday

Post by Pete Halliday »

An alternate method is to shape the top and back to their final dimension befor joining and route a half depth binding channel on both of the mating surfaces. An alternate to the alternate would to use a contrasting wood plate of your desired binding thickness through the entire middle. A third alternate would be to use a middle plate of whatever also in the binding thickness and route the binding channel on that so it is essentially an eigth inch smaller plate that gets sandwiched. In that method I would bind the middle plate before glueing all three up. And a fourth method would be to use a top or back plate that is the binding width thicker than the other and route a one sided channel in the thicker plate. I have used methods one, two, and four and all work well. I like Chad's slot cutter idea but have not found the right bit and bearing combination myself.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

Thanks Pete. All good ideas to consider. I think I may have found a bit to use. https://www.routerbits.com/slotting-rabbeting/ I'll just have to find the right bearing after determining what binding I'll use. One of you used black fiber for the binding I think. Where did you find it and did you cut the strips yourself? If so what did you use to cut it?
Pete Halliday

Post by Pete Halliday »

I got the fiber binding from Allied Lutherie (I love their truss rods too) already cut to width. If you need a different width you can get sheets from Luthiers Mercantile although not in pieces long enou to get around the bodybwith one piece.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

Thank Pete.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”