Same fret tang size in a refret?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Nick Sorenson

Same fret tang size in a refret?

Post by Nick Sorenson »

I had a neck come back for repair and ended up refretting it. It was my first successful refret. I've never done repair work and have fretted a pile of new necks but this was the first one that "turned out" pretty well (no major chips out of the fingerboard etc).

But question... I used the same exact frets that I originally had in there for the refret. I didn't like how easy they went in. I couldn't push them in by hand but if my hands were a little stronger, I might have gotten close. I like to feel a little fight with the fret press as they go in. These just almost dropped in on the press.

Is this ok?

Is there anything I can do for a little tighter fit? I considered super gluing each slot and letting it dry to sort of stiffen the fibers a bit and add a little build. But not sure if that's a good idea or not. Curious what others do here.

thanks!
Nick

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”