Pecky Tele

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Roger Rosenberger

Pecky Tele

Post by Roger Rosenberger »

Just about a year ago my Dad gave me some rough sawn pecky cypress. The plank was 1 7/8" thick x16" wide x16' long. He wanted my brother and I to each have an 8' chunk of it and my first thought was, can I make a guitar out of that.

So here's the experiment. I think this would be called a "semi-solid" electric.
I tried to keep all the routing to a minimun since there isn't much solid wood. And I couldn't tell what was inside of the slab.
I used a single coil sized humbucker (13.84k), with a concentric 500k pot for volume and tone and mini switch to split the coils.
It has a top loading bridge and I used an endpin jack. There wasn't a solid area to put a jack in the typical location.

The dark streaks are from years of dirt build up in the exposed peckies. After I had it planed down, and the rough body cut, I used a high pressure air hose to clean all the dirt and chaff out of the holes. Some of them go all the way through the body. I couldn't think of anyway to get rid of the staining from the dirt so I left the dark streaks and used black hardware to compliment it. I also used a satin poly finish instead of gloss finish.

My four year old grandson called it the tiger guitar.

Last edited by Roger Rosenberger on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rosenberger

Re: Pecky Tele

Roger Rosenberger

Here's the slab it came out of.

JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

The straight-on front shots just don't do it justice - too 2D. The swiss cheese end/below shots are just awesome - love at first sight once I saw those. Great use of that wood and coordinating the hardware. Some little tiny part of my brain wishes there was a tortiseshell pickguard on there, but it would indeed be a shame to cover up that funky surface.
Roger Rosenberger

JC Whitney wrote:The straight-on front shots just don't do it justice - too 2D. The swiss cheese end/below shots are just awesome - love at first sight once I saw those. Great use of that wood and coordinating the hardware. Some little tiny part of my brain wishes there was a tortiseshell pickguard on there, but it would indeed be a shame to cover up that funky surface.
Thanks JC. I have enough left to build three more but I'm not sure, don't want to flood the market. :)
When I started this I googled pecky cypress guitar and this is the only one I found, a pecky cypress strat. There has to be others out there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AredNqMSqMg
Aaron Noguer

Post by Aaron Noguer »

Wonderful! just wonderful!
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I love it also.

Very unique and looks good also.

You can store extra picks and cords in the holes.
Jim Bonnell

Post by Jim Bonnell »

Nice guitar Roger. I'm sure it was no easy job working around all the holes. It sure looks good and I enjoyed the Dickie Betts video. Any idea where your father came by it. We have quite a bit of it here in Florida.
Roger Rosenberger

Jim Bonnell wrote:Nice guitar Roger. I'm sure it was no easy job working around all the holes. It sure looks good and I enjoyed the Dickie Betts video. Any idea where your father came by it. We have quite a bit of it here in Florida.
I'm not sure exactly where it came from or when it was cut but it has sort of been in the family. My great uncle was a carpenter and had a custom cabinet and furniture shop for over 50 years. When he passed my great aunt stayed in the house but didn't sell the shop or any of the contents. Several years later she sold the property and moved to Tennessee to be closer to her son. Everything left in the shop was given to my dad, their son had already been there to get what he wanted. That piece of cypress was in the back storage area.
That was about ten years ago when dad took it out to his place. I'll have to ask him if he knows where it came from originally.

My son is here trying it out this afternoon, it sounds soooo much better than when I try to play it! There's some truth to the saying, tone is in the fingers. I'll post a video later.
Roger Rosenberger

Roger Rosenberger wrote:
Jim Bonnell wrote:Nice guitar Roger. I'm sure it was no easy job working around all the holes. It sure looks good and I enjoyed the Dickie Betts video. Any idea where your father came by it. We have quite a bit of it here in Florida.
I'm not sure exactly where it came from or when it was cut but it has sort of been in the family. My great uncle was a carpenter and had a custom cabinet and furniture shop for over 50 years. When he passed my great aunt stayed in the house but didn't sell the shop or any of the contents. Several years later she sold the property and moved to Tennessee to be closer to her son. Everything left in the shop was given to my dad, their son had already been there to get what he wanted. That piece of cypress was in the back storage area.
That was about ten years ago when dad took it out to his place. I'll have to ask him if he knows where it came from originally.

My son is here trying it out this afternoon, it sounds soooo much better than when I try to play it! There's some truth to the saying, tone is in the fingers. I'll post a video later.
Here's just a little of him playing around today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEWtwvgSCU&feature=plcp
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Sort of makes it easy to run wires on that, eh?
MIMF Staff
charlie wood

Post by charlie wood »

cool look!!
sound decent too
Cheers
Charliewood
Roger Rosenberger

Barry Daniels wrote:Sort of makes it easy to run wires on that, eh?
Ha, none of them were in the right place so I still had to drill holes.
Henrique Schneiter

Post by Henrique Schneiter »

That's really funny!
Robert Smallwood

Post by Robert Smallwood »

What Aaron said.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

That guitar might be the key to time travel - talk about wormholes! No, really, that's a really cool instrument! :D
Thomas Dooher

Post by Thomas Dooher »

Holey pecky wood, Batman! That looks like a lot of fun and sounds fun, too! :mrgreen:
Ashley Davis

Post by Ashley Davis »

Would that be considered a "chambered" guitar?
I cut into an old piece of alder and noticed a few worm holes on end. Assumed not a problem. When I thicknessed the slab to 1 3/4" a myriad of tunnels were revealed! Thus the Termitecaster!
Attachments
TermiteCaster1 small.JPG
Roger Rosenberger

Ashley Davis wrote:Would that be considered a "chambered" guitar?
I cut into an old piece of alder and noticed a few worm holes on end. Assumed not a problem. When I thicknessed the slab to 1 3/4" a myriad of tunnels were revealed! Thus the Termitecaster!
Hi Ashley. I don't know if I would consider those "chambers" or not, I think of it as more of a semi-solid.
Did you finish your Termitecaster? Any more pics?
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

These are awesome guitars and exactly what my prefered clientel would swoon over. Bring on the flood! Do a tele thinline next. Its just a matter of ignoring the holes during construction -- almost.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”