Lighter weight tuners than Rotomatics

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Mike Perez

Lighter weight tuners than Rotomatics

Post by Mike Perez »

Hello,
I'm looking for recommendations for some good tuners that will replace my 40 year old Grover Rotomatics.
Something like the Gotoh vintage (Kluson style).
They Grover's make the guitar so neck heavy. I am open to open geared tuners also.
If I need to tap and re-drill I will. I think there are bushing that will take up the extra space????
Thanks.
Barry Daniels

Re: Lighter weight tuners than Rotomatics

Post by Barry Daniels »

I've been replacing them with Waverly tuners. A bit pricey but they are very well made. They have larger bushings as an option. A set of Waverlys are half the weight of Grover Rotomatics. The only downside is that the Waverlys do not include a washer under the bushing so you have the old washer impression exposed. So, I ream out the old Grover washers and polish them to reuse them with the Waverlys.

I have also recently been making small delrin bushings to support the lower end of the Waverly tuner shaft. Makes for a solid connection.
MIMF Staff
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Thank you Barry.
I'm not worried about the impression left by the washers as I'm adding a new headplate.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Here are a couple of 70's era Martins that I am currently working on with the Waverlys installed. You can see that the Waverly covers the footprint and screw holes of the old Grovers on the back of the peghead adequately.
Attachments
IMG_0453Resized.jpg
IMG_0452Resized.jpg
MIMF Staff

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”