EKO Ranger 12 String

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andrew Armstrong

EKO Ranger 12 String

Post by Andrew Armstrong »

I'm restoring an old EKO Ranger 12 String. It is missing the saddle which was adjustable height with 2 screws - similar to some modern gibson height adjustable saddles. This particular guitar has a small magnetic pick-up mounted in the end of the fretboard/soundhole (which looks factory fitted and there is an earth wire loose inside. So i presume that the earth wire was connected to the saddle and the saddle must have had a metallic element to provide effective earthing. I've looked for info on web and there are quite a few pics of this model but all are without the pickup and have 'bone' saddles

Questions: Has anyone seen a similar guitar with pick-up and can you advise saddle materials/construction?
Has anyone got any ideas on where I might find a replacement saddle and/or height screws?
Mark Swanson

Re: EKO Ranger 12 String

Post by Mark Swanson »

You could make a saddle from aluminum. Adjustable saddles steal away tone, so make one that's solidly mounted and non-adjustable. You can lay a pie of conductive copper foil with a wire soldered to it under the saddle and connect that to your ground (earth) and it'll be good to go.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Thomas Dooher

Post by Thomas Dooher »

Yeah, all the people who copied those Gibby adjustables didn't realize it was a poorly designed concept....I had, back in the day, inlaid the same wood and cut a traditional saddle slot. Saw probably 8 or 9 come through the shop after word got around.
Bob Matthews

Post by Bob Matthews »

Hi Andrew, Brandoni Guitars here in the the UK have tons of spare parts for the Eko Ranger.
Have a browse thro their site or give them a call, they are very helpful.
http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/bridges.asp

Bob

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”