Binding channels

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Troy Woodyard

Binding channels

Post by Troy Woodyard »

Question. Do you guys route all the way through the sides for the binding channel, revealing the linings? Or do you try to make the linings thin enough that this doesn’t happen? Or does it matter?

Thanks in advance!
Bryan Bear

Re: Binding channels

Post by Bryan Bear »

I use solid/laminated linings (not kerfed linings) and often my channels go into the linings. It really depends on how thick the sides are and how thick the bindings are. Usually my bindings are around the same thickness as I bend the sides but even then, the channel will go through the side material anyway since I end up taking more thickness out of portions of the side when I block/sand the box before I cut the binding channels. I would say that every box I have made has had the channel go through the sides in at least one place.

My purfling channels aren't' as deep as the top or back plate so even though they go in further than the binding they always have top/back wood underneath them and then the linings.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

I normally go through the side as well. I try to avoid going through the top with the purfling rabbet, though.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

I cut .160 into my tops, usually .08 into the lining. I usually cut .04 into the back linings .120 total for the back cut. I would like to do this by hand but I use a router.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”