Thumbscrews

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ray Spooner

Thumbscrews

Post by Ray Spooner »

Looking for a source for abalone or MOP topped thumbscrews to attach a resonator to a Deering Calico or GDL.
JC Whitney

Re: Thumbscrews

Post by JC Whitney »

If you're not able to find an off-the-shelf solution, two things come to mind:

1. Take an existing set, drill/mill a recess into the top and inlay an "abalone dot" (Stewmac and others sell, about two dollars ea).
2. If you have an exiting set with flat (i.e. not domed) tops, simply apply an abalone dot centered on the top with CA glue.

If you know a hobby machinist, option one would be a piece of cake - maybe 15 minutes work on a lathe. Could also have a local machine shop do it: you provide the bolts and an example dot for reference and they machine recesses to suit. Considering the caliber of instruments you mention, the small cost to have them professionally machined seems justifiable.

Option 2 is a distant second, but done carefully it could look... ok. Worst case you have to repeat the process a few years down the road.

With that said, you asked your question in the right room. It's a good possibility that someone here will come through with a source for you.
Ray Spooner

Post by Ray Spooner »

Thank you, JC
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Just noticed… this is posted in the Auctions section, not likely to get many views. Maybe try reposting in a banjo category? I saw it only because I filter for newest posts.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”