Room humidifier

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Maurice Elefant

Room humidifier

Post by Maurice Elefant »

I am looking for suggestions on a room humidifier. I am in Arizona so humidity for most of the year is in the 10-15% range. I am considering hanging 2 acoustic guitars on a wall in a room 7ft x 9ft, ceiling height about 7.5ft. It's a laundry room with an open doorway to dining/kitchen area. I would likely just hang a curtain on a rod to close off the room. Not ideal but I don't think I want to install a door.
Bob Gramann

Re: Room humidifier

Post by Bob Gramann »

DE9FECCB-26E3-4F36-90B9-6F3BB4EA9A70.jpeg
DE9FECCB-26E3-4F36-90B9-6F3BB4EA9A70.jpeg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
E25FA488-4615-41D6-92DC-C1E445E2986F.jpeg
E25FA488-4615-41D6-92DC-C1E445E2986F.jpeg (31.96 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
I’ve been through about all of the types available over many years. What I have settled on is the Vicks steam humidifier controlled by a Dayton humidistat. (The humidistat isn’t accurate on its face but can be set with a calibrated hygrometer in the room). The drawbacks of the other types: The wet wick or filter humidifier gets moldy. The cool mist humidifier pollutes the air with very small mineral particles unless distilled water is used. The drawback of the Vicks device is that it only holds 1.5 gallons of water, so you have to pay attention to it.

My son lives in New Mexico. He cools his house with a swamp cooler, so in the summer, his whole house has decent humidity.
Maurice Elefant

Interesting setup. Thanks for the suggestion.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

The thing that makes the most difference is how much infiltration you have. Nothing will work very well if you're always humidifying leaked in outside air. Even a jury-rig door on that room will make a big difference.
Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon »

Maurice Elefant wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm
... would likely just hang a curtain on a rod to close off the room. Not ideal but I don't think I want to install a door.
Consider using aluminum foil wrapped foam insulation for a curtain. Or maybe build a light frame to hold it that is easily removable. Like a shoji screen.
Maurice Elefant

A door for the room or anything else that would be effective is impractical so I've decided to just keep the guitars in their cases when not playing. I bought 2 hygrometers and use Dampits and sponges in soap dishes inside the cases. It's a daily ritual but necessary since both guitars are showing hairline cracks in the soundboards and neck shrinkage with the fret ends slightly protruding. Any body have experience with Acurite Temp and Humidity Monitors?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

586838BC-5F02-4344-8196-CAC50D60EF32.jpeg
586838BC-5F02-4344-8196-CAC50D60EF32.jpeg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 6370 times
I’ve been using the model (01083M) pictured above for maybe two years. I give one to most of my customers with their guitar. The best thing about them is that they can be calibrated. The calibration seems to hold.
Tim Braun

Post by Tim Braun »

I’ve had Venta Airwashers for years. Super simple, no white dust, no filters. They sell a conditioning liquid, which I’m not sure if it helps, but it does get mineral buildup which I combat with CLR. I live in the West and the Venta can keep my room 30-45% if I keep the door closed. I’ve built all my guitars out here so I don’t worry too much. If I open the door, I can lose 10% in 30 minutes easy.
Maurice Elefant

Bob Gramann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 pm 586838BC-5F02-4344-8196-CAC50D60EF32.jpegI’ve been using the model (01083M) pictured above for maybe two years. I give one to most of my customers with their guitar. The best thing about them is that they can be calibrated. The calibration seems to hold.
That is the model I just bought 2 of. To calibrate I did the salt and water in a small bottle cap in a sealed plastic bag and it took about 24 hours for it display 70% humidity. How do you calibrate?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

I do the same thing but with potassium carbonate. It settles at 43% overnight. Calibrating closer to the range of interest (for us around 40%) is more likely to give readings accurate in that range. I’ve also calibrated with a psychrometer and a chart. It is very comforting to get the same results two different ways. (Hands near the hygrometer to change the settings change the humidity, so calibration is an iterative process.)

I have a couple Abbeon hygrometers, one in my workshop and one in my living space. In the workshop, the Abbeon and the Accurite check each other and warn me when it’s time for recalibration. So, as I get a batch of new Accurites, I can calibrate them by leaving them in the workshop (40%) overnight.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”