A moment

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andy Bounsall

A moment

Post by Andy Bounsall »

It doesn’t matter how many you’ve made, as a builder there’s a moment when you first string up a new guitar. When you first bring it up to pitch. When the neck doesn’t snap off and the top doesn’t implode. When you strum it and hear it sing for the very first time. It just never gets old...and I LOVE it!
Attachments
8C73660E-05CE-475F-9352-8E7E8C5BE416.jpeg
Karl Wicklund

Re: A moment

Post by Karl Wicklund »

I’m still green enough to find it elating and terrifying. My version of bungee jumping I guess.
Kaptain Karl
Bryan Bear

Re: A moment

Post by Bryan Bear »

I fully understand the sentiment of what you are saying but my experience is slightly different. My first few instruments (non-Gitar) went pretty much as you describe. But now days, I experience this joy a little differently. I am still always pleased to hear something I made making lovely sound/music but that feeling seems to be delayed. After I first string up a guitar and tune (and re-tune as the body starts to accept the tension) it, I always feel a sense of disappointment. They sound like a guitar but not as lovely sounding as I’d hoped. The warm fuzzy feeling sets in when I come back an hour or so later. I always have to tweak the tuning at that point, and by then the guitar seems to have come into its own a bit and I am thrilled. Naturally the tone continues to develop after that but it seems like that first hour or two of string tension take them from mediocre sounding to something I can be happy with.

I sure wish I understood what was going on when a guitar opens up, or breaks in, or whatever you want to call it. It is just such a mystical thing to me.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”