Custom 45 Style

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ryan Mazzocco

Custom 45 Style

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

I haven't posted any of my creations is quite a while. I just finished this one last week. It was a custom commission build for a local artist.
We worked together on the design, mostly his ideas he brought to the table with a little inspiration from some of my standard designs.
It's largely based on the J-45, but a bit deeper body than the modern 45s, closer to the J-15. The color is sort of a "honey burst." A nice amber in the center that fades to tobacco at the edges but still being light enough to see the wood grain all the way to the edge.

Top: Torrified Sitka Spruce
Back/Sides: Figured black walnut
Neck: 5-piece laminated neck with walnut and maple
Flame maple binding on body, fretboard and headstock
"New York" Block style fretboard inlays MOP
MOP Headstock inlay/logo
Abolone, walnut and maple rosette
Bone nut and compensated saddle,
bone bridge pins w/abolone dot
Walnut bridge and fretboard
pearloid pickguard
Special Features:
Side port and my adjustable bolt on neck system.
LR Baggs Anthem pickup system

It really does sound good. Very banlanced, lots of low end but without being boomy. After playing his first band practice with it he said it fit perfectly in the mix. Before, he was trying to decide what it's place would be in his arsenal, but now he's decided it's his main guitar.

I actually really like this guitar. I wasn't sure about some of his decisions, but for the week I had to to myself it really started to grow on me. I think there are a lot of design elements of this one that I will carry forward. I was even kind of jealous that I had to hand it over. I don't do many colors, I really like the look of natural wood, but this one really grew on me and I could see myself playing one like this if I can ever afford one of my own guitars.
I do not like the neck. It's a baseball bat. but that's custom work for ya! He brought me a Hummingbird and said 'I want this.' so I did it for him. He loves it, and that's all that matters.
45-1.jpg
45-2.jpg
45-3.jpg
45-4.jpg
45-5.jpg
Last edited by Ryan Mazzocco on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Mazzocco

Re: Custom 45 Style

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

A few more pics...
45-7.jpg
45-8.jpg
45-6.jpg
45-9.jpg
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

Nice!
Jumbos have such a large canvas the burst helps bring them in a bit.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Glad that you have such a happy customer!

I like the sunburst.

Which elements will you be bringing forward into your regular offerings?
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Bryan Bear wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:36 pm Glad that you have such a happy customer!

I like the sunburst.

Which elements will you be bringing forward into your regular offerings?
Thanks

For one, the use of shell. I've never used shell as inlay material before. I've always just used wood, but I really liked the shell; it was a lot easier to work with than I expected. The simpler rosette has a certain understated elegance compared to my normal radial rosettes. And this particular flavor of burst really stands out on a wall of guitars.
Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

love the walnut - and the rest.
dig it!
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”