24"x4"×3" Neck Blanks

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Gilbert Fredrickson

24"x4"×3" Neck Blanks

Post by Gilbert Fredrickson »

Can I get two 12 fret Gibson L-0, 24.75" scale, dove-tail, necks out of a 24x4x3 blank?
JC Whitney

Re: 24"x4"×3" Neck Blanks

Post by JC Whitney »

Hello Gilbert. Here's a quick diagrammatic sketch using an old neck side view I had drawn up long ago laid over a 24" x 4" block - perhaps you can compare the neck blank dimensions shown to what you're planning to use to get a feel for if two of yours can fit. PLEASE NOTE that the neck profiles drawn are not necessarily representative of the dimensions of your 24.75" scale L-O necks. You'll need to confirm dimensions and configurations.
Neck Sketch.JPG
Gilbert Fredrickson

Thanks. I'm unpacking my tools and setting up a new shop space.
Steven Smith

Post by Steven Smith »

I routinely get two necks out of the 24 x 4 x 3 blanks. Unlike the drawing above I plane the surface of the blank and then layout the neck from there although I expect the drawing was just to show that two necks would fit. If the wood does not have significant defects then it should be no problem.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I'm guessing you want to do sawn necks for vintage correctness. Personally I would make three scarf joined stacked heel necks out of that, know that I had stronger heads and less waste.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Thanks. For sunburst finishes I use a 30×1×3 and generously apply the tobacco brown toner. These will have really silky Kermodie Lutz tops. They're to nice to hide under a burst. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”