Mysterious Nut Job

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
christo wangro

Mysterious Nut Job

Post by christo wangro »

I play a Martin acoustic bass. One of the few fretless they made around 1990.

I think the phono jack is a little unusual. It’s plastic, and If you look carefully at the photo below you can see that the piece steps down. The issue is I am missing its’ nut - which I can’t seem to find anywhere…

...Can anyone help???

Pls note that the piece may well be metric...

Be my saviors, I’ll be most grateful!
MARTIN.jpeg
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Re: Mysterious Nut Job

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

That looks like it might be a bit larger than the nut for an Asian 1/4" jack, but I would go to your local guitar repair guy and ask if he has something that fits. Next choice would be your local amp repair guy. Next choice would be a decent hardware store. If they have something that fits, it will probably be too thick. But you'll have the size. Then Google is your friend.
christo wangro

Post by christo wangro »

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been to local hardware shoppes (good ones in fact) and no dice. Not even on the thread size. Same with music stores; nada. Asian ¼ jack sounds interesting, though the box is British. Google, a dead end hence my presence here.

Tricky one, eh what?
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

Have you asked Martin? If they don’t have it or can’t direct you, why not just replace the jack with a standard one?
christo wangro

Post by christo wangro »

Thanks.

Yup asked Martin, they said they haven't used this type of jack in decades and suggested I get on to MIM Forum!
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

I'd go for replacing, as well. but I don''t know what's on the inside of the box. The jack may also send signal to the XLR jack (like on some epiphones) as well as switching the battery.
christo wangro

Post by christo wangro »

I think replacing is the likely next step. Alas, I tried. Replacement not that big a deal really, was just trying to avoid as it seemed so silly...
Thanks all for chiming in -
W.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”