Acoustic/electric dreadnaught, adjustable neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Peter Wilcox

Re: Acoustic/electric dreadnaught, adjustable neck

Post by Peter Wilcox »

And then, the break.
lacewood-bending-break1.jpg
lacewood-bending-break2.jpg
lacewood-bending-break3.jpg
lacewood-cutaway.jpg
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Mark McLean

Post by Mark McLean »

Hi Peter, thanks for showing off your latest creation. I must say that there is a noticeable increase in refinement of your builds over these four. Things like the headstock binding that matches the body purfling and rosette, the cutaway, the finer truss-rod opening. Very nice work. I am sorry that one of our Australian timbers gave you such grief - but it did end up looking very pretty. And the break at the cutaway bend actually finished up invisible. Nice recovery. I have never tried using lacewood, and you are making me a bit nervous about trying it now. I take it that you are still happy with this adjustable neck joint? I love how subtle that little hole below the 18th fret end up being. I certainly don't think the lack of a heel is anything detrimental. In fact if you ever wanted to play up at the 15th fret (which I never do) it is a definite advantage. So are all of there instruments hanging on your wall with that collection that can be seen in your photos - or have they found homes elsewhere?
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Thanks for the kind words, Mark. All my builds are for the learning experience, so these fit right in. I was able to try making rosettes, binding fretboards and headstocks, making cutaways, and doing top, back and side purflings (even though they didn't come out very well). I really like the adjustable neck that lets me dial in any action, and they will never need a neck reset. I made this last one for a friend I jam with - he's an electric player who uses the full fret board, and the cutaway and heel of this one let him get up there.

I think I'm going to take a break - do some repairs and make a few electrics to relax. Acoustics are really frustrating for me.
Graydon Stephens

Post by Graydon Stephens »

Very nice work Peter, and intriguing design on the adjustable neck. I have a question if you don't mind. I noticed the bracing where you've tied the neck block to wooden "anchors" at the body waist. Was this a result of experience from a prior build where you did not secure the neck block, or did you do this out of caution - being concerned that neck block area might flex? I ask because I am building a slim hollow body with strat style bolt on neck and am concerned about neck block area being rigid enough. Thanks!
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Hi Graydon. Yes, it was caution that prompted me to use those carbon fiber flying buttresses. It might do fine without them, but I figured that since the neck block wasn't supported by the normal neck heel on the outside (I don't know if that makes any sense from an engineering standpoint anyway), I would support it from the inside to keep it from tipping forward.
Matthew Lau

Post by Matthew Lau »

Nice, clean looking stuff. How did you fix the cracks?

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”