New Spectrum Analysys Software: Beta Testers wanted

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Alain Lambert

New Spectrum Analysys Software: Beta Testers wanted

Post by Alain Lambert »

I have been building guitars as a hobby for the last 17 years. A few years back, I started to use Audacity and later Visual Analyser (VA) to find resonnant frequencies of plates and instruments.
The many steps one have to go through to get a usable spectrum lead me to make my own software.
Over the last 2 years, I have developped a spectrum analysis software for luthiers, which I call Luthiers's Spectrum Analyser (LSA).
It has all what we get from VA plus a few goodies specific to the luthier world, but to my view, much easier to use and more adapted to our needs.
I have been using it for a while now and I am quite satisfied with the result. My plan is to distribute it as a shareware for a minimal fee.
Since the software is at its early stage, I am now looking for a few people to act as Beta testers.

Those interested to be Beta testers, need to download the program, try it and if still interested in becomming a Beta tester send me an email at the address shown in LSA.
Beta Testers will receive a free registration, which is not much, but will have a chance to participate in the fine tuning and improvement of LSA.

You can get a copy of the fully functionnal demo software here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X4FSJ ... uAeHgzvdnP
This is for Windows users.

Thank you for your interest.

Charlie Schultz
Site Admin

Re: New Spectrum Analysys Software: Beta Testers wanted

Post by Charlie Schultz »

What's the setup for exciting the plates?

Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Charlie, most folks doing this are following Trevor Gore's methods and the testing is on assembled guitar bodies using a mallet. My mallet is a rubber eraser with a small wood dowel as the handle. I can post a photo if you like.
MIMF Staff

Alain Lambert

Post by Alain Lambert »

As Barry said.
This is designed to measure the response to a tap rather than generating a signal.

Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Alain,
I'm interested in being a beta tester. But before i do...
Is this a data acquisition _and_ signal analysis package, or just analysis?
If it is a data acquisition system, what inputs does it accept? PC "onboard" system microphone?
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice

Alain Lambert

Post by Alain Lambert »

Hi Chuck, the software will acquire the microphone signal from you PC or Laptop. If the mic is onboard or USB or connected to the soundcard . As long as you have a valid sound input device in windows it will list it.
After that it does an FFT to find the frequencies and displays it as a graph and values.

Alain Lambert

Post by Alain Lambert »

Update:
I have made several additions/improvments to LSA.
It now come with an installer , which may make things easier for some.
The "sound shape" graph is now saved with the spectrum.
The cursor now show the frequency in the status bar, the decay/duration can be measured with a left click, Etc.
You can still get it from Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X4FSJ ... uAeHgzvdnP
Or from my website: https://alainlambert.wixsite.com/luther ... m-analyser

Chuck Tweedy

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

man, was that Halloween that i piped up!?!
I'll download by New Year's i swear!
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice

Alain Lambert

Post by Alain Lambert »

LSA is now available for Mac users. You can find a copy Here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Please consult the readme file for instructions. This has not been tested intensively, please report any problems.

The windows version is still available as usual: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Max Dickinson

Post by Max Dickinson »

I'm interested! I'll check this out. I do a lot of spectrum analysis to measure intonation and this would help a lot