Basswood For Back Bracing?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Basswood For Back Bracing?

Postby Gilbert Fredrickson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm

I have a lot of very straight grain Basswood I've been using for lining strips. It's tempting to use some for back bracing instead of so-so Khaya or really excellent Englemann. The Khaya is has some run out. It's about ten years old. Is Basswood a poor choice on a Cedar/EIR classical? I could use the Khaya for lining, too. I'm using it for binding instead of Maple. It looks good with the Cedar top.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Re: Basswood For Back Bracing?

Postby Barry Daniels » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 am

I think it is a very bad idea. Basswood is sort of soft and gummy compared to spruce or mahogany.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Re: Basswood For Back Bracing?

Postby Gilbert Fredrickson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Good thinking. I was fooled by the quality of it's cut. I shaped the neck with a button-likeTorres heel and 1888 (GAL plan) Torres headstock, so I'm rethinking the whole guitar.
Gilbert Fredrickson

Return to Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars