Using Dowl rods for Side Mold?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Keith Walden

Using Dowl rods for Side Mold?

Post by Keith Walden »

Ok, so the bandsaw is out of commission, so has anyone built a successful side mold with dowel rods?

The hot-mold will need to be sawed out somehow but I can do that with a rasp and some saw action, the inside mold is what Im needing. Any good designs with limited tool use?
Bryan Bear

Re: Using Dowl rods for Side Mold?

Post by Bryan Bear »

I have not done it but many have with success. Try searching the libraries here for adjustable molds. You'll likely find a lot of inspiration.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Clay Schaeffer

Post by Clay Schaeffer »

I've made an "adjustable work board" by screwing "L" shaped wooden blocks to a small sheet of plywood. You could use square blocks but the "L" shape allows you to clamp the sides to the blocks a little easier. Draw the body outline on the plywood and screw the blocks with the long side of the "L" just touching it. An added refinement is to clip the corner of the "L" to allow the top to extend past the sides a little bit during construction.
Keith Walden

Post by Keith Walden »

Yea, I saw that one guy who uses molding like an ''L'', so yea, I would go with the screws on that type, thanks think I got this. Movin it forward hopefully I have the wood thinned by October. Got a cheapi neck off Ebay for $20.00. its all looking good.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”