Another newbie's number one!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Bob Orr

Another newbie's number one!

Post by Bob Orr »

Here is my first guitar. I built a couple of ukes last year which are pictured below and were the first instruments that I made, though I do have some hobby woodworking experience. I wanted a wood resonator to play acoustic slide and wanted something with a good base response so after numerous months researching this and other sites for info and ideas I came up with this. It is based on an OM size acoustic body shape and is just as deep, rather than being shallow like a normal dobro. It has a demi cutaway and a soundport on the upper bout. Rather than the usual laminated sound ring I went for post supports. There is a ply ring with integral extensions top and bottom that are dovetailed into the top and bottom blocks then six posts around the perimeter. I cut all the timber on my bandsaw and thicknessed using hand planes and scraper.
Black walnut back, sides and top, mahogany neck, IER fingerboard and headstock face board and back strap, bwb purfling and oak bindings. Hummingbird inlay is abalone and engraved MOP filled with black wax. Finish is two coats of shellac based sanding sealer then about 4 coats of Tru Oil. I like wood to look like wood and my personal preference is not for a high gloss buffed finish.
There are lots of things I could have done better but am very happy with the results and it sounds just like I had hoped, nice and mellow if played at fingerboard but with that dobro bark if played nearer the bridge. Next up is a 12 fret all mahogany 000 with an arm bevel and demi cutaway! Always up for a challenge! A big thank you to everyone involved in running this forum and to all the contributors without whose help I would never have started this project. Particular thanks to Hesh and Robbie O’Brien for their always useful toots! This guitar making is as addictive as crack and I already the next three planned!
Cheers, Bob
001 (217x300).jpg
001 (217x300).jpg (97.2 KiB) Viewed 9594 times
003 (199x300).jpg
003 (199x300).jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 9594 times
002 (130x300).jpg
002 (130x300).jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 9594 times
DSC_1152 (439x640).jpg
DSC_1145 (418x640).jpg
Bob Orr

Re: Another newbie's number one!

Post by Bob Orr »

a few more pics.
Attachments
008(202x300).jpg
008(202x300).jpg (97.9 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
007 (300x199).jpg
007 (300x199).jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
006(500x332).jpg
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I like it a lot! Very different, nice cutaway, 14 fret makes for a great bottleneck slide guitar. Nice job on the sound hole pattern, obviously echoing the cover plate design. Did you get the bass response you were looking for?
Ryan Mazzocco

Post by Ryan Mazzocco »

Lookin' Good!
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Thaks and yes the base is nice and full. I am hopeless at recording anuything but will see if my son can help sometime soon and may be able to post a soundclip.

Cheers, Bob
Mike Conner

Post by Mike Conner »

Bob,
Really a cool reso! I play dobro myself, and as you pointed out there are some very distinct differences in the design and build compared to conventional acoustic guitars. I prefer the post and ring construction like you used (compared to the old school soundwell). I am sure it sounds great, and you have really got the details right. Thanks for sharing!
Patrick DeGreve

Post by Patrick DeGreve »

Very, Very Nice. I think the walnut back is great. I use walnut a lot. It works well and sounds great. I love the hummingbird inlay, and all the details. Great Job. Enjoy number two. Yes, this guitar building thing is additive! What is the wood you used on the soundboards for the ukes. It is very interesting.
Bob Orr

Post by Bob Orr »

Thanks. The wood on the ukes fronts is lacewood. It is quarter sawn London Plane tree. Called London Plane because that is what lots of the trees on the streets on London are.

It sounds great looks good and is easy to work. Back and sides are leopardwood which is the nearest id I could get. It was salveged timber bought from a recycling centre
in Bristol.

Bob
Steve Koons

Post by Steve Koons »

I thought they only used London Plane for caskets?

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”