Harlequin "Fat Boy", and Weissenborn new builds

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Patrick DeGreve

Harlequin "Fat Boy", and Weissenborn new builds

Post by Patrick DeGreve »

I am finally done with the Weissenborn I started for the "Something new Challenge". I am very happy with it. I gave it to one of my employees who couldn't put it down. I also finished another project. I built a "Fat Boy" from plans I got from our Plans section. I used Mark's plans,(they are very nice), but made one change. The plans call for a Venetian cut-a-way, but I wanted a Florentine cut-a-way. I decided to put the guitar in a "Harlequin" costume. One half of the soundboard is Peruvian Walnut, the other side is Avodire. One side is Peruvian Walnut, the other is Ambrosia Maple. The back is Maple and Cocabolo, in a diamond pattern. This guitar plays great. The short scale makes it a dream to bend notes. I have had a great time playing it in, and I am going to keep this one.
Attachments
wiesenborn7.jpg
wiesenborn6.jpg
wiesenborn4.jpg
Patrick DeGreve

Re: Harlequin "Fat Boy", and Weissenborn new builds

Here are some more pictures
Attachments
wiesenborn5.jpg
wiesenborn2.jpg
wiesenborn1.jpg
wiesenborn4.jpg
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Wow, are you going to show how you did the diamonds for the back? Sorry if you did in another thread and I missed it (if so, just point me in the right direction).
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Patrick DeGreve

Hi Bryan, thanks for the "wow". I made the diamond pattern by cutting each diamond to a templet, I then put down wax paper on my radius disk, and I just glued them in place on my radius dish on my go-bar press. After that glue dries I glued on the back braces, and then glued on 3/4" strips, cross grained over the joints. I beveled the 3/4" strips, and sanded the back flush. It was really very easy.
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Well it doesn't sound too easy to me <g> you are braver than I. I like the look a lot. I don't think I will ever steal the idea though. Eventually a search party would be sent and they would find me hopelessly glued to my workbench.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Hey, this thread is a two-fer. I like that Weissy a lot. Give us a closer look at that rosette, please.

Now this "Fat Boy" is something diff'rent! So, half walnut and half maple top? That contrast is very striking. Tell about the bracing (wood choice, profiling, height). Is it very strident? I'm very impressed with the diamonds on the back: clean joints and so symmetrical. I wouldn't have trusted my own joinery with only marriage strips over the joints. And is that diamond binding?! You have to show some more of that.

Good work!

EDIT: I see the rosette in the "Try Something New" thread. Pretty!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Wow! That Fatboy is one for the books. Wish I could hear what it sounds like with the hardwood top. It's great! It makes me want to read "Repent, Harlequin, said the TickTockman" one more time. Is the neck thicker than usual? Are you using medium strings, or a light gauge? I usually use medium strings because with the shorter scale they drive the top a bit better. I like that scale, it really does make an easy to play guitar. Good work, thanks for the photos!
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Patrick DeGreve

Thanks for the comments. Jason, I used sitka spruce for the bracing that I bought from "Alaska Specialty Woods.com". They sell a box of bracing wood. I followed the bracing on Mark's plan as close as I could. I am at work today, and don't have the plans in front of me, but It is X braced with tone bars. Mark, I don't have any sound clips, I have never posted anything on youtube (which is kind of sad, considering I work in a TV studio), maybe some day. Several co-workers at CBS played it and liked the tone very much. With the hardwood soundboard, it is a bright crisp tone. But it still has enough bass to support it. The neck is 1 3/4" at the nut,(good eyes. Mark). I made it that because that is what I am most comfortable with, and I made this one for me. I put 11-52 gauge strings on it to start, but I think I will try medium gauge strings on next. The short scale makes it very playable. This is a fun guitar. One of my co-workers (who plays the blues a lot) asked me to build him one, with a sitka soundboard. It will be interesting to hear the difference in tone.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

Do it!
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Dennis Duross

Post by Dennis Duross »

Patrick, your instruments are always so interesting.

Return to “Flat-Top Acoustic Guitars and Bass Guitars”